Any hints or tips on avoiding injury.

5 messages
19/03/2012 at 19:47

Hi,

As a fairly new runner so far i have avoided injury, although my knees often feel a bit. Then i take a few days off. Is there anything preventative that you can do., for example, gym work,cycling, a bit of work with weights to strenghten the joints. Anything at all.

cougie    pirate
19/03/2012 at 21:27
Cycling is good for you - it works the cardio and muscles that running doesn't usually find.

I prefer not to do weights - they do give me twinges.

Get decent shoes. Rotate them if you can.

Listen to your body.

Err on the side of caution. Over resting never injured anyone.

19/03/2012 at 22:21

Good points from Cougie...

Take the rest days marked in your schedule.

Cool down at the end of your runs rather than just stopping from full pace. Then do your stretches (do a search on Runners' World for some if you don't know which to do).

Join a running club to get advice from others / see their routines.

Exercise-wise? Swimming is good too. It means you're taking a day off running, and you need to be able to relax your muscles as well as tense them. Front and side planks are great for your core. Squats are good; just make sure you go down below parallel.

I find hamstring curls help my form, and I like calf squats.

Pilates is good for strengthening the hips and knees - areas which I otherwise find I neglect.

19/03/2012 at 22:22
Rotate shoes.........as in have more than one pair, or do you mean swap the left and right shoe over.
19/03/2012 at 22:26
Yes, rest days are important. I try never to run more than two consecutive days without a rest day.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.