Any runners taken Carbimazole (hyperthyroidism) tablets?

possible side effects?

3 messages
08/05/2013 at 14:34

Hello, for anyone who is or has previously taken Carbimazole for an over-active thyroid - did you experience any side effects?

Had a persistent sore throat & chesty cough for 3 weeks (as well as feeling generally under the weather (tiredness, despite uninterrupted sleep and general light headed feeling).

Initially thought nothing of it, just a persistent cold virus but have read that this could be a potential side effect of the medication.

I'm fairly new on treatment (now 7 weeks, so sore throat started a month after commencing Carbimazole).

Have rung the consultant secretary & left a message, so I'll await their response, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this while taking this tablet?

Typical this happens in the month leading up to a marathon - always the way! Cheers.

17/05/2013 at 23:24

It can drop your white blood cell count and leave you more prone to infection. Hopefully you've had that checked by now, if not and you're still unwell see your GP.

21/05/2013 at 09:02

Thanks Helen - sore throat is very mild and intermittent now - seem to get it in the evenings. Have an appointment with the consultant on the 29th so will mention it then. Think it was just a case of a bad cold & probably decreased immunity causing it to linger for so long.

Finding the emotional part of Grave's the hardest - mood swings galore!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.