Aqua Jogging - how to/what workouts

9 messages
04/07/2012 at 12:05

So I've accepted I'll be out of running for another 3 months and have been in the pool with my aqua jogger a couple of times....so far so good! 

What workouts should I be doing with the AJ though?  How long should I do it for and what intensity (have come off 50 mile running weeks so need some full on aerobic exercise!)?  Any tips to relieve the boredom?

04/07/2012 at 16:20

Errr - I borrowed a second aqua jogger from someone and me & an also-benched clubmate would just aqua jog round the deep end of the pool for an hour together gossipping - which I think replaced the "social club run" bit of our normal training schedule!

04/07/2012 at 17:27

I've been aquajogging for a while now, as I'm benched with a hip injury.  I've been doing it with a club-mate and, as Fido2Dogs says, it's good for chatting and keeping up the social side. But I also find that doing it with someone is good for keeping each other going/ not feeling so silly by yourself.

We often do little sessions in the middle, like 1 min hard, 30 secs recovery, progressing to 2 mins hard, 45 secs rec. Total of an hour, including warm up and warm down - sometimes longer periods of 'tempo' effort.  Gets the legs working, although it never fully makes up for not running.  We haven't tried to do it very seriously, as I know I have a long while to wait before I can return to running (having already been out for 1.5 years, after doing hard marathon training).

There was a useful article with some suggested sessions here: http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6032&PageNum=3

Good luck with your recovery.

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 17:45
04/07/2012 at 21:52

Thank you!  I have 2 very kind friends who have been accompanying me (despite not being injured!) so have been doing the chatting, just felt maybe I should be 'pushing' myself ha ha, training for an aqua jog marathon or something....

About to read that article, thanks

10/07/2012 at 21:34
I did this whilst being injured during my marathon training. Found it hard to 'do it right' to start with and there seems to be limited information n it.
What worked for me was:
Remaining in the deep end and doing short 'lengths'
I did mainly 'speed work' focusing on 6 minutes of going all out with one mi ute recovery- found this kept me thinking about my form and keeping me focused
I did 'long runs' of up to 2 hours - but found these incredibly dull after a while......
It's really hard to get your heart rate up doing this, but everyone seems to say that.
I found doing 'shorter, littlier' strides made it harder than bigger ones.
I kept myself upright at all times and made sure I wasn't leaning forward (not sure if that's right, but worked for me)

I fully recommend aqua jogging, I think the speed work really helped too as I was faster when I eventually got back to land running.

Hope it works for you!
I felt a right twit the whole time - you're very lucky to have people who will do it with you!
11/07/2012 at 15:29

Thanks kaffeeg, I've did an interval session the other day, 5 mins hard then 1 min recovery and did 8 reps I felt that worked well, and you're spot on about 'form', I've researched this online and makes big difference.

Also would recommend a waterproof MP3 player to anyone else contemplating this - really helped me when I did 90 min long ;'run' in the pool.....

12/07/2012 at 08:09

but found these incredibly dull after a while...... It's really hard to get your heart rate up doing this, but everyone seems to say that. I found doing 'shorter, littlier' strides made it harder than bigger ones. 

http://www.avufo.info/g.gif

22/07/2012 at 20:24
Does anyone know of any training for aqua running in london? Have a hamstring injury st pregnancy and am Descartes to get back to land running ASAP so want to do AJ correctly...
22/07/2012 at 21:47

If you look at the aquajogger website there is an article on 'form' that I found very helpful. It's pretty straightforward once you get going.

http://www.aquajogger.com/blog/?page_id=375

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.