Are female runners affected each month?

1 to 20 of 27 messages
15/04/2009 at 15:40

I am intrigued as to whether you find your perfromance alters/slows down when that time comes round each month?

I have been keeping an eye on myself, and I am pretty sure it does have an affect on my recovery and length of time I can run etc... Quite noticable! I am far more sluggish... Although this may be to do with food I eat, lots of carbs? (too many!)

15/04/2009 at 17:08
funny you should post this, I was just thinking about it on my run. I find that just after my period I feel like I am running really well. I don't notice a difference during though to be honest. I'd be interested to know if there's any sciencey correlation type graph thingy....
16/04/2009 at 11:12

http://www.ivf.com/amenath.html

check out the link.. it shows a correlation between period and exercise..

16/04/2009 at 11:21
crikey, a bit scientific! Not to mention a bit scary. I am going to carry on plodding regarless. I am trying to get up the duff at the mo but I've read numerous reports saying that running is ok. Paula Radcliffe managed it! 
16/04/2009 at 11:40
haha!! Good for you!!
17/04/2009 at 16:08

How spooky! I was thinking of hormones & stuff the other day!

Im sluggish & tired when I'm due & when im on! In fact yest was 'day 1' & I had no energy! I ran anyway & ended up walking 3 times! Annoyingly, if I hadnt walked, it would have been my fastest time!

17/04/2009 at 16:25

I have only just joined the site and its because i think that i could be effected 'pre-menstrually'.  My run today was sluggish, and more painful...burst into tears afterwards!!  The pain in my calves seemed that much more excruciating.

Shortstop, i had to stop today too!! Its so frustrating and deflating.  I can empathise.

Nam
17/04/2009 at 16:30
Definitely more sluggish, lower pain threshold and need more recovery.
Edited: 17/04/2009 at 16:30
17/04/2009 at 16:31

bless you Zoe, hope you're okay? I think it is safe to say that we must take it much easier when due/on period... It can have all different effects.. although i know exercise is quite good for stomach pians apparently...

Shortstuff - i am always sluggish when due/on! lol... All good that your run was quite fast!

17/04/2009 at 16:35
Aw Charlotte, I'm fine thankyou.  Damn Hormones!!! lol.  It is such a relief that i can i can blame it on being a women and not being unfit.  Thankyou for setting up this forum.  I dont' feel quite so down on myself.  Just want to get back out there and starte running again!
17/04/2009 at 17:02
yes do! i get them 'low' days whereby i feel rubbish at running sometimes, but get back to it slowly but surely x
Nam
17/04/2009 at 17:25

So does anyone work they period around key races?

I'm dreadful a few days before... weepy/negative, low pain threshold, poorer endurance...  I'm thinking of taking 2 pill packs in a row to shift the dates so that TOTM isn't interfering with Ironman in a few months.

17/04/2009 at 18:41

I'm affected more before I come on than during, I feel sluggish, eat more (bad stuff too), and can't seem to get as far or go as fast.

I haven't done a race yet but I'm doing RFL in June and even though that's only 5k (seems like a marathon to me) I'll be backing up my pill packets to make sure I'm at my best

19/04/2009 at 10:40
i definitely feel heavier and more tired week leading upt to my period - durig and after i feel great. -
19/04/2009 at 10:43

Yes it makes a difference

No problem with doing that Nam

Nam
19/04/2009 at 10:46

I'm definitely worse the week before.  It's that week I'd like to avoid.  As some of you said, once it's there it's ok.

Dr Barking thanks for confirming.

19/04/2009 at 19:20

I have no energy or stamina in the week leading upto my period. On day one I always feel totally sh***y - really tired, 'heavy' head, shakey and occasionally light headed.

Another downside is I become more clumsy than usual (and I'm quite clumsy!). Last week I dropped and broke a mug.  

19/04/2009 at 21:27

I've been told the time of the month apparently makes us more sensitive to pain, so it's only normal that any training should be more heavy going.

I'm not sure what to think of that weblink.  If runners stay relaxed and maintain a healthy diet with plenty of calcium there should be little impact unless you let your weight dip below the healthy range.    Of course if you are suddenly killing yourself after years of non exercise then it will have a knock on effect on your health. 

20/04/2009 at 09:35
I went back to running today (due day) and did a small 4/5km run.  It really helped.  It wasn't too much and i felt that i actually still did enough....good times.  I think 'taking it easy' may be the key as us lady folk need a break every now and again
20/04/2009 at 09:45
I'm doi ng FLM on Sunday and my period is due on that day!!! Great!!!
1 to 20 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.