Arm pain when running

4 messages
14/02/2013 at 09:17

Hi All,

I'm training for the London Marathon and have recently been experiencing pain in my left arm when running. I ran 18 miles with a lucozade bottle in the same hand for the whole distance and its now been 2 weeks and I haven't been able to shake off the pain. It feels like a dull ache in the outside of my upper bicep and a slight pain in my shoulder. I've been on a few short runs since the 18 mile and if i straighten my arm out and shake it about a bit then the pain subsides for a minute or so but then reoccurs. Any advice? Many thanks. 

15/02/2013 at 16:27

swap hands regularly during run

15/02/2013 at 18:05

...no wonder!

You've spent 3 hoursish with your shoulder scrunched up holding onto a bottle. The nerve that runs through the muscle and down your arm is put under similar and unaccustomed strain - it doesn't like it.....

Don't stretch your arm, but improve the mobility of your thoracic spine a la roller and run tall - which is hard on long runs. Physio can help..

....and don't run holding a bottle

PSC    pirate
15/02/2013 at 18:16

I always said that Lucozade was bad for you!

Get a bottle belt for training.  No need for it at VLM as they hand water out every 50 yards!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.