ATHROSCOPY AND RETURNING TO RUNNING

POST SURGERY ADVICE

21 to 39 of 39 messages
26/08/2014 at 09:28

steristrips came off over the weekend and scars have healed nicely.   still some stiffness in the knee which isn't surprising as it's only 2 weeks tomorrow that I had the op.

knee feels good, bar the stiffness and some swelling if I stand on it for a long time (as I did Sat and Sun at an off-road tri which I was supposed to be racing but got involved on the organisation side instead).   my injury induced limp is reducing and walking is fine but too early to try a run yet.  I'll get on the bike turbo this week to turn the legs over without impact and start the road back to fitness.

physio appt tomorrow - be interesting to see what they think.

26/08/2014 at 12:29

Icing helps a lot. I still get 2 lumps where the athroscope and instruments went in. I can now put all my weight on both knees.

26/08/2014 at 13:49

I've been using a Cryocuff - http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/Aircast-Cryo-Cuff-Cooler-PAC200/ - bought cheap off ebay.    it was recommended by a friend who used it when he had an ACL op who said it worked well for him.   it ices and compresses at the same time.

not used it every day but just those days when I felt I needed it perhaps due to extra swelling or a bit more discomfort.

I also have a lump where the main work was done, but the other scar is fine.  the lump will go in due course

28/08/2014 at 11:10

After my arthroscopies I found that swimming helped to reduce swelling.

Didn't need to be a strenuous session, even a 20 minute dip of gentle front crawl worked. I think it is because the muscles are working and that helps move the fluid away from the knee - but at the same time there is no weight being put through the leg.

Would probably need to be done with good swimming form, straight leg, kick from the hip, relax the ankles - so as not to aggravate anything.

28/08/2014 at 15:38

I've been swimming in the sea since the op and since I wear a wetsuit for that I don't use my legs and just leg them dangle behind me.  it felt great!

31/08/2014 at 19:03

shant bore you all now but I went 16 miles mainly cross country and canal Wednesday and 21.3 road miles today. Knee was pain free today.

06/09/2014 at 10:53

Went swimming on Monday and that the first time for over a year my knee didnt hurt at all.

07/09/2014 at 06:44

Day 3 post surgery. leg is a bit sore and stiff but I'm working on the exercises to improve flexibility and icing whenever I can. In all I freel pretty good, considering how early it is. 

07/09/2014 at 07:07
Hope all goes well. I would recommend you do the best you can regards the exercises, icing but mainly resting. Do next to nothing else and I am sure your recovery will be quicker. Take care.
15/09/2014 at 19:31

I'll continue to post updates in case someone else is looking for a comparison in the future.   Day 11. Moderate swelling and occasional twinges if I forget and twist the knee. Normal walking is fine but I've not been too far  to test it.  I'm icing regularly to keep the swelling under control and I'm doing the Physio exercises.   The flexibility is pretty good Considering the joint is swollen. 

Edited: 15/09/2014 at 19:32
15/09/2014 at 19:49
Good news. I have run a couple of 20 milers and my knee is really good now. Still hurts if I catch it on a rug though. Very happy.
17/09/2014 at 16:22

Hi Peter and MM, thanks for keeping this thread going. I did my right kneee at endure 24 this year and believe I have a torn meniscus which is being MRI'ed next Monday.

Its positive seeing that running long is still possible once you've had repair work done, fair play!! I was, and still am, worried that i wont get it back properly!

Cheers + take care.

18/09/2014 at 23:00

Hi Peter. My meniscus was ok but I have quite bad cartilage damage from a wonky knee cap movement  (not exactly the consultants words but hear enough ).   I'm preying I will be able to run again. Early days yet for me - goid luck with your knee issue. MM x 

19/09/2014 at 06:13
Good luck to. Berlin for me next week. Just going to go nice and easy
19/09/2014 at 12:36

Yes this thread is a very good read and good luck to all healers. I went for an MRI scan on Monday on the left knee, after physio, muscle balance and gait checking it was felt a scan was needed.
I play squash, no pain, I cycle, no pain, I run and the next day I have soreness within the medial side of the left knee. Very frustrating.
I'm hoping something is found to be fair so I can satisfy my mind.
Results should be availabe at my Docs next week. 

19/09/2014 at 13:05
Sounds like a medial meniscus tear. Don't run downhill or round sharp corners. My knee murdered after running round left hand bends
19/09/2014 at 14:52

I'm thinking it could be that, I just really hope it can be fixed.

19/09/2014 at 16:29
Sit on a hard chair for five minutes then stand up and walk. If I did that my leg was so numb I couldn't even stand on my foot
20/09/2014 at 06:45

Hi StuT frustrating isn't it !! Hope the scan sheds some light on the problem and you are set on the road to recovery soon.  

Day 16  here. Went up and down four flights of stairs at work yesterday without much bother which is the first time sinice last October.  I  got carried away and went for a second lap  but the knee told me that it'd had enough for one day.     Have done two very short (5min) Static bike sessions but dudnt feel confident in pressing on further as it felt a bit twingy and unstable. MM 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.