Ball of foot pain

5 messages
07/12/2009 at 20:56

Any ideas what this could be?

I am intermittently getting pain on the ball of my foot - slightly towards the rear, inside of my foot.  If I prod it I can feel the edge of the bone there.

It comes on mainly when I am driving, when the pain can get quite intense.  It's when I release the pressure on my foot that it hurts - not when I push down on the pedals.  It also hurts sometimes when I walk or run, but more commonly it hurts when I rest after a walk or run.

I think there might be a small amount of swelling compared with the other foot, but if I use ice the swelling doesn't appear to go down, so maybe it is just that my foot is a slightly different shape.

I am most comfortable and least likely to get pain when I am barefoot, but it doesn't appear to make a difference what type of shoes I wear - trainers, heels, sandals...

07/12/2009 at 21:24

Is it worst first thing in the morning Caz, on weight bearing when you get out of bed?

You could try rolling a frozen water bottle underneath it to ease pain.

If barefoot is comfortable, do that more often, also add some foot exercises like scrunching a towel and stretching the plantar fascia underneath your foot (google plantar fascia stretch). 

07/12/2009 at 21:38

It's not PF - I get that in the other foot so I would recognise those symptoms.

I've been looking as sesamoiditis on the internet - it's the nearest diagnosis I can find although the pain is in a slightly different place.

If you think of the ball of the foot as a clock face then the pain is at about 4 or 5 o'clock on the outside of the foot.  It never hurts in the morning, but tends to ache more at the end of the day.  I think that driving agrevates it, but I'm not sure whether that is the cause.  I spend between 2 and 4 hours a day in the car.

07/12/2009 at 22:14

Which foot is it? Clutch or accelerator?

The plantar fascia extends up to the metatarsal heads where you're getting the pain, so rolling & stretching it is still recommended, along with icing the 5th met area where your pain is.

08/12/2009 at 07:44

Accelerator.  Last night it hurt when driving so I got Hubby to drive me home.  The pain was worse as a passenger, i.e. at rest, than when I was pushing on the accelerator.

I will ice and stretch as you suggest as I know that I tend to suffer rom tight calves.  It is difficult to roller where the pain actually is but I can do the rest of the PF.

When I saw the podiatrist with the PF he said that I was likley to get it in both feet eventually because of the shape of my foot (high arches with my toes sticking up in the air).  I have a custom orthotic for my left foot - is it worth going back to him?  He said that he would supply the orthotic for the other foot free of charge when I needed it, although I suspect he will still charge consultation fees.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.