Beginner needs advice!

outer thigh and bilateral knee pain

3 messages
06/05/2013 at 21:32

I had a back injury 4 years ago and by doing yoga and progressive exercise have now started running on a treadmill. Ive just got to 20 min jog - 20 min uphill walk - 10 min jog. But the last few days I have had painful knees and pain right outer thigh. Ive tried stretching beforehand (I always do yoga after cardio anyway) but I havent noticed a difference. Im due to do a 4 day hike soon and Im concerned. Should I stop running, run through the pain, stop everything, or is there a magical cure?! Please advise me, Im new to this!

06/05/2013 at 21:58

knee & outer thigh pain sounds like tight IT bands - if you have a yoga teacher s/he should have some suggestions for specific stretches, plus massaging the outer thigh using your body weight on a foam roller should be painful but effective.

09/05/2013 at 17:22

Great thanks - Ive been alternating exercising and rest days and that seems to be doing the trick. Is it worth getting knee supports? Ive never been convinced theyre anything but a placebo!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.