Belts for running!

3 messages
31/07/2005 at 08:31
Does any one have experience of using a belt to support their lower back whilst running? I need to support my back and have thought of using a neoprene (?) type belt. My thoughts are a sweaty back is better than a stiff back. I have heard of people using motocross belts! Can anyone pass on the experience or recomend a belt for runners?
31/07/2005 at 11:10
When I started r*nning I used to wear an elasticated belt to support my lower back and pelvis. I bought it from our local surgical suppliers and it cost about £20. I would have thought that neoprene would be very sweaty and uncomfortable? Don't use it any more though as have worked hard on core stability and no longer get the problems that I used to (groin pain due to unstable sacro-iliac joint).
31/07/2005 at 12:13
No belt/corset is really going to support your back. Like SS says core stability is the key. A belt will be warm and comforting and may give you some feedback on your back/abdo muscles but it won't strengthen or stabilise. Only a custom made spinal corset will do that and I hope you don't need one of those. Have you tried Pilates?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.