Blood blister... to burst or not?

9 messages
29/08/2011 at 00:01

Got a blood blister forming on right toe after the 20 mile bug run today in Liverpool..

quick question - to burst or not? wasnt sure.

I was wearing thousand mile socks too... maybe I should put a claim in

seren nos    pirate
29/08/2011 at 08:29

unless the pressure gets too painful then I wouldn't burst it....................buy compeed plasters and put one on it and leave for days.................

you will probably get 101 different answers of what to do with a blister......

29/08/2011 at 10:12
Personally I burst them.

Needle and thread, soaked in antiseptic - pull the needle right through, leave the thread there to help it drain (not indefinitely!!).
And I never use compeed, but that is only cos I'm lergick to them!

99 more answers to go...
29/08/2011 at 11:07
Lol. Guess I toss a coin on responses to burst or not.
29/08/2011 at 11:44

I was always told not to burst them.

Just for a laugh i did an experiment when i had one on each foot (same spot). On my left i burst it, on my right i let it heal under the blister itself. Result? Right one had no issues and went within 4 days. My left?..... it didnt heal for another two weeks and was more painful to run on.

29/08/2011 at 12:36
Perfect! Good call Emmy
31/08/2011 at 03:23

Hi Cat,

I suffer terribley with blood blisters, and usually just leave them.  More recently though I popped the blisters,with very sterile technique.  A week of horrendous pain, complete rest and course of antibiotics later, and they eventually started to heal. 

For sure what I've learnt is to stay well alone - the liquid in the blister is there for a reason - to protect it and speed up healing.  I'll not meddle again with blood blisters in a hurry.

Good luck!  Anny

31/08/2011 at 20:26
As seren says, stick a compeed on and forget about them for a few days and it sorts out remarkably quickly. I found no problems with running on them the following day once I had the compeed in place.
I've only just discovered them after years of bursting carefully and I'm a convert straight away.
31/08/2011 at 20:55

cool. will get some compeed plasters tomorrow.

thanks everyone.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.