Bloodpressure tabs and compartment yndrome

Is there a link?

7 messages
14/12/2006 at 15:01
My GP started me on a trial of a thiazide diuretic for slightly raised BP (long story)about a month ago. During this time I have developed what my physio thinks may be compartment syndrome in both anterior compartments in my lower legs. Is this coincidence? I notice one of the side effects listed is muscle cramps/weakness. Common sense tells me it's two different things, but now I can't run and as some of you know running is a major de-stressor for me (lifts mood, time away from autistic son, helping with recent bereavement etc) I am sooooo fed up! I have also had to start taking norithesterone too. I seem to have gone from feeling healthy-no meds to feeling shite-loads of meds in about 2 months! Any suggestions?
14/12/2006 at 15:13
HELP!!!!
14/12/2006 at 15:29
Could be related, could be co-incidence. Can't be more helpful that that. Sorry :o(

Might be worth a trial of stopping the blood pressure tablet to see what happens.
14/12/2006 at 15:39
Thank you. I'm back to see my GP at the beginning of Jan so I'll discuss it then.
Is a thiazide diuretic a reasonable first line? Or is there anything less likely to interfere with my running
14/12/2006 at 15:44
A thiazide diuretic is the standard first-line treatment for most people, Jingli. They're well-established, effective, and relatively user-friendly, but sometimes people can get idiosyncratic side-effects from any medication. I wouldn't expect it to interfere with your running, unlike some other blood pressure medications, particularly beta-blockers and moxonidine.

Hope your physio has sorted you out before then :o)
14/12/2006 at 15:47
Thanks Vrap, that makes me feel much better and more confident about the meds. It's amazing how it makes me panic if I think anything is going to interfere seriously with my running. Physio has suggested swimming / walking in the meantime as long as no symptoms in my legs, so I shan't be completely idle!!
15/12/2006 at 16:25
m

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.