Breakfast choice?

Suggestion for breakfast before a 10K run

19 messages
11/08/2005 at 13:24
I'd welcome any suggestions for breakfast before a 10am start for a 10K race.

I normally train during the evenings so when it comes to racing at weekends the 10am starts hit me hard - I don't seem to have enough energy to run as effectively as I want. I usually have a bowl of wholegrain cereal, semi-skimmed milk and maybe a banana a few hours before the start but I always feel sluggish and as though my fuel tank is only half full!

What do you have for breakfast before an early race? Any secret tips and suggestions welcome! Thanks

11/08/2005 at 13:44
Honey on toast,peanut butter on toast...3/4 slices couple of hours before a race,always seems to work for me.
11/08/2005 at 13:44
Porridge with a sliced banana and a teaspoon of honey works for me!
11/08/2005 at 13:49
Peanut butter and banana toasted sandwich, a strong cup of coffee, and some OJ.

Plus lots of water
11/08/2005 at 13:53
Ian you could also look at what you are eating in the few days before the race,just as important as on the morning.
11/08/2005 at 14:35
Porridge gets my vote, too - it's nice with raisins in it but make sure you eat well ahead of your race. I'm an evening runner, too. My problem with morning starts for races is that I am not a breakfast person. Have been trying to become one but really can't face food before lunchtime (no, that's not due to hangovers just a 'natural' tendency to nausea on waking). I guess the thing is to choose something you like to eat for brekkie - trust me, running a morning-start 10k with no breakfast really, really hurts! ;-)

The hardest thing is judging when to eat breakfast. Thing is, running in the evening means it's a good four hours or so since your lunch but nobody wants to sacrifice a good night's sleep to eat a pre-race brekkie at silly o'clock a.m! I allowed a good three hours from eating to race on my last 10k but still felt like throwing up within the first 2 kilometres. Isn't it better though, to eat and throw it up than to not eat at all and retch on an empty tummy? Totally agree with everyone who's said 'drink lots'. I like fruit squash or diluted fresh fruit juice for pre-race glugging.
11/08/2005 at 15:30
I agree with all the yummy advice given above. However I would add in the excellent product Ultra Fuel (available from the health food stores inside some Tescos) It has 100grms of sugar(dextrose, I think). Start sipping it 1 hour before the race and finish it about 30 mins before the start. It will really perk you up. I'd also take two 50mg tablets of Pro-Plus (caffiene) 30 mins before the start.
11/08/2005 at 17:41
porridge every times
11/08/2005 at 17:42
porridge fan here as well with sugar and sliced banana

kept me going round a 10 miler after a full night shift and no sleep :-D
11/08/2005 at 17:53
Many thanks for all the replies,I'll try a good bowl of porridge with banana and honey - sounds delicious.

Now, off to the shops.... :-)

Dustboy    pirate
11/08/2005 at 18:02
Three sausages, four bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, four scrambled eggs, four toast, white with butter, brown sauce, hash browns and a pint of leaded fatboy Coke.

Which will do you about as much harm as a day off of everything will do you good before the race/run.

However, having written this, I am leeeeeeeaaaaaaning towards the menu option and sod the run.
11/08/2005 at 23:47
I'm a porridge man too, sometimes add dried fruit and honey too.

Rye toast is the other addition to my pre race breakfast, along with fresh fruit and a cup of tea.
20/08/2005 at 12:25
Yes it has to be porridge, preferably a goodly helping!
20/08/2005 at 17:07
Yes porridge here too - with honey and dried fruit.

You could try and early morning warm up run too - say wake 6.30 - do 2-3 miles easy, breakfast 7am.
20/08/2005 at 17:15
Most importantly don't try something new on race day
03/06/2007 at 08:07
I'm a weetabix fan personally. Made with just hot water and perhaps a small spoonful of Jam (if i need some sugar).

I cant do Porridge after being force fed it as a child...so weetabix is next best thing!
03/06/2007 at 08:41
Porridge, of course. With creme fraiche and maple syrup :o)
03/06/2007 at 08:43
Wholemeal toast with honey, banana and live Yogurt sees me through... and a cup of Lemon and Ginger tea.

I like porrige but can't be bothered faffing around making it and cleaning up after myself (dishes and pan to wash.. eek!)
04/06/2007 at 16:54
Mmmmm... porridge... with creme fraiche eh? Must try that.

Ian- you might find eating more carbohydrate the night before helps. I can eat all I like for brekkie but if dinner was rubbish there's no helping me!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.