Breakfast Ideas

21 to 32 of 32 messages
27/09/2002 at 13:14
The blackberry season only finishes at midnight on 30th September when the devil pees on all the blackberries that are still on the bushes.

So time to pick a few for jam yet.
27/09/2002 at 13:20
That's the kind of superstitious stuff my mother-in-law comes out with. You're not my mother-in-law are you? :-)
27/09/2002 at 13:31

None left on the bushes near me, V-rap. They were good while they lasted.

One good aspect of being a runner is that you pass lots of blackberry bushes full of lovely ripe fruit between June and September. I usually pick about 3 lbs a day from my favourite bushes, usually before I run.

I still have lots of blackberries in the freezer. As they are full of water, they freeze well, and keep for up to 6 months. Full of vitamins A B & C, they are a great food, especially when they tend to grow in lots of places and are effectively a free gift to people who bother to seek them out, in this country.

People should avoid picking blackberries that are growing on or close to busy roads, as they may have a high lead content.

--
27/09/2002 at 13:48
And as I discovered, you should also try to avoid picking blackberries that seem easy to reach and growing in what, after a while, appear to be rows...
27/09/2002 at 14:22
The canal path near me has both hazelnuts and blackberries - wonderful combination. There are loads of blackberries on some of my running routes too, but I don't pick them because they're probably full of lead from the traffic.
02/10/2002 at 12:01
This might sounds like a right ropey idea - but I fancy that a few maltesers mixed in with my morning porridge would be quite yum. I always make porridge the traditional way - with just water. I just have to pick up the courage to try my idea. I will let you know.......
02/10/2002 at 13:09

Raisins are nice in your porridge.

Soak them in water overnight, then throw them on top once you have made the porridge.

Yummy scrummy.

Tesco's "value" bags of porridge are 35p for 1 kg at present - (which is 20 portions @ 50 grammes each). Very good value for money.

(If you are having porridge for breakfast, take care to go to the loo before your run.)

02/10/2002 at 15:28
To all you who pick their own blackberries I hope you soak them in salt water first before you use them to get out all the grubs and worms that are inside YUK, it put me off them for life when I saw my mother in law do it, sorry.

Right breakfast, cant really face much so I just have bananas and a vitamin and a cod liver oil tablet......
02/10/2002 at 17:56
Boo Hoo...

My recently departed Granny always used to have leftover homemade crumble or fruit pie in the fridge, and whenever I used to go and see her (as a child or an adult) the first thing I used to do when I went to see her was made a beeline for the fridge - by the time she could get the words 'Theres some pie in the fridge' out - I usually had the dish, a spoon and the evapourated milk out already!
Thank you for reminding me of this lovely memory....
02/10/2002 at 20:13
cold curry from the night before in a couple of samdwiches with yofu on top...
02/10/2002 at 20:49
...that's what John Major likes too!
02/10/2002 at 22:41
Breakfast, YUM my favourite meal of all. I *love* granola, I've often gone to bed looking forward to my morning bowl of granola for breakfast. Okay, now you know I'm sad.
As far as filling breakfasts go, I swear by porridge, fills me right up, all the way to lunchtime. :o)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.