Breakfast

5 messages
GXW
12/10/2008 at 08:46

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I'd like to know what's best to do for pre-run breakfast?

I'm doing a 1/2 marathon (my first) which starts at 09:30 and I read somewhere that you shouldn't eat for 3 hours before a race?  Should I get up at 06:30 just to have breakfast?  Or should I just get up at a reasonable time and skip breakfast?  I'd have thought I'd need something for energy - but I don't want to get a stitch caused by undigested food bouncing around for 2 hours!

Any advice appreciated. 

P.S. I live about 100 yards from the start line so travel time isn't an issue!  

12/10/2008 at 09:25

Hi GXW.  Absolutely don't skip breakfast, running or not!

My half marathon prep would be pasta meal the night before then I would get up around 6.30 and have breakfast by 7.00am, which would probably be porridge.  I would then have a jam butty or a small piece of flapjack about a hour before, just something small.  Ensure you drink enough too, but I tend not to drink for 1.5 hours before a race so that I'm not wanting to go to the toilet throughout the race!

12/10/2008 at 09:29

Everybody is different.

Races up to and including 1/2s on a Sunday morning, I have my normal Sunday breakfast, about 2 hours before the event. (Bacon egg mushroom tin tomato lots of bread and orange juice)
Because I know that it will have settled enough to allow me to race.
I could race those distances on the fuel provided by my food from the day before, which is what happens if I get up for an early LSR.

12/10/2008 at 09:49

When do you normally do your long runs? I usually run on a Saturday morning and have my breakfast about 2 hours before which works for me. If you've got time you should probably experiment a little to see what works for you. Good luck

GXW
12/10/2008 at 10:10

No time to experiment - the 1/2 marathon is next week.  I do my long training runs on a Sunday.  I think I'll go with a reasonable size breakfast 2-2.5 hours before and see how I go.

I know from experience that eating (or indeed drinking) too much too close to any run can give me a stitch.

Thanks for all the advice.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.