Breakfast

1 to 20 of 23 messages
14/11/2011 at 13:40

just cannot stomach porridge before a long run anymore, have tried weetabix and toast etc but have not found that it gives me enough fuel to keep going on a long or hilly run, and I find it just doesn't keep me feeling full for very long.

Has anyone tried any other cereals that they have found to be good.

14/11/2011 at 13:48

Have you tried Ready-brek?  Or eating cereal bars (especially if they have oats in too)?

Maybe try a different porridge - they're not all the same.

Or a smoothie with some oats in?

14/11/2011 at 13:58

Flapjacks - oats and sugar...just the ticket.

Not too breakfasty, but I have that when I get back!

Gyraffe    pirate
14/11/2011 at 14:02

My brother in law told me that if you have a carbo rich meal the night before a long run the energy is all there ready to be used when you get up. I choose to believe that because it means not having to force anything down at first light then sit around waiting for it to digest before heading out the door. I usually take some gels or sweets with me for when things start to get boring though.

14/11/2011 at 14:18

Tried cereal bars, flap jacks etc but within an hour I'm hungry again. May try ready Brek as haven't had that for years but it does remind me of porridge.

I always have a good pasta meal the night before a long run but still need a decent breakfast for long, long ones.

Thanks

14/11/2011 at 14:29
toast always repeats on me makes me feel queasy
14/11/2011 at 14:46

How much time are you leaving between eating and going out? Also, how much porridge are you eating? Cooking it with water and a splash of milk may make it lighter too.

Failing that how about a banana or as Wilkie said a smoothie. If you soak the oats the night before, they'll be softer.  What other high carb foods do you eat ie creamed rice or potatoes? It doesn't have to be an every day breakfast to give you energy. 

ETA - How far are you trying to run without any fuel? That may be part of your problem   Gels, jelly babies etc may be what you need?? 

Edited: 14/11/2011 at 14:52
14/11/2011 at 15:15
Gyraffe, I've been known to get up, eat porridge, then go back to bed to digest it
14/11/2011 at 15:21

I try to eat 2 hours before I do a long run although this weekend I only managed an hour and half. Long run at moment is 9-10 miles but increasing slowly.

Just ran out of energy this weekend.  we usually run at 9am on the sunday.  I am afraid I am not the type to soak things the night before etc. I just want to do the lazy option from a packet into bowl and eat.

14/11/2011 at 15:25

And what about all the other suggestions people have given, including eating while out on the run which you'll probably have to practice at some point?

runnersbeen wrote (see)

just cannot stomach porridge before a long run anymore, have tried weetabix and toast etc but have not found that it gives me enough fuel to keep going on a long or hilly run, and I find it just doesn't keep me feeling full for very long.

Has anyone tried any other cereals that they have found to be good.

Maybe you should try slowing down your pace a bit. Assuming you've eaten well the night before, you should have energy in the tank along with a light breakfast. Whatever issue you are having at this distance, sort it out before you try to go longer. Make sure you are hydrated enough too, but not overly.
Edited: 14/11/2011 at 15:28
WiB
14/11/2011 at 15:27

I find for anything under 2 hours a slice or 2 of toast with with Jam or Nutella on is plenty and easy to eat. If I can't get hold of that a good bit of Soreen loaf sorts me out...

Are you drinking sufficiently, I believe hunger can be a sign of dehydration? I could be wrong though, it has happened before, I remember it well. It was a Tuesday.

WiB
14/11/2011 at 15:29
I have some gels now but I think I am just gonna have to try the ready brek, was just hoping someone else had tried granola or alpen etc and found it to be just as good.
14/11/2011 at 15:33

The first time I tried gels (Leeds Half) I brought the buggers back up!

I haven't tried them since, although I think that's just because I'm worried it may happen again.

14/11/2011 at 15:37
Have used the sis go gels in orange and have been ok with them but have got some diff flavours to try out. Dextrose tablets have just started to disagree with me for some reason...
14/11/2011 at 15:37
runnersbeen wrote (see)
I have some gels now but I think I am just gonna have to try the ready brek, was just hoping someone else had tried granola or alpen etc and found it to be just as good.
I'm not convinced  what you are eating is the (only) problem. The risk you take with granola (higher fat) or alpen is the additional ingredients may lead to runners trots rather than having a problem with running.   Creamed rice or a white bagel may be easier. There's really only one way to find out though.
Edited: 14/11/2011 at 15:45
14/11/2011 at 15:42
 def dont need that
14/11/2011 at 15:46

I tend not to eat before running, but if I do Alpen with a 4-5 hour wait is fine.

9-10 miles though you don't need to eat at all (or fuel), so if its causing you a problem with your stomach then don't. You won't run out of energy, you might get tired towards the end of the run, but your body will adapt to that with more training.

14/11/2011 at 16:01
Same as Waff said, I tend to save time by eating my breakfast the night before!
14/11/2011 at 16:14

I have a mixture of cereals in my bowl, small amounts of malt shreddies, coco pops, weetos, sugar puffs and half a banana usually keep me going and on a longer run I take some sweets, usually something chocolatey.

I'm currently trying out Sainsbugs own tropical fruit and oat mix. It's tasty but I do wonder if it's giving my jaw too much of a work out and therefore using up all the potential energy with chewing alone.

14/11/2011 at 16:20
I had a free sample of the Power shotz sweets from the great North run, they were lovely.... no idea if they are any good for fuel/caffeine but i loved them. LOL
1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.