Breathing problems

9 messages
04/07/2013 at 23:21

2 Months ago I ran my first half marathon Then a few weeks later i got ill with a bit of flu, then a cough and then got better. That was about 8 weeks ago now but ever since then I can't Breathe properly. I can run 3-4 miles max on a good day at a minute slow per mile. This has been going on for 5-6 weeks now with no improvement. I have gone to the doctors and tried Asthma stuff, antibiotics, nose drips and chest x-rays. They are generally not very helpful. I get a very dry throat when running and seem to have a problem breathing in rather than out. I started to try and diagnose myself as the doctors where not that good. I believed it may of been acid reflux so started taking PPI medication. Now i am starting to feel bloated and worse and not getting any better breathing wise. Any suggestions?

At the moment I have currently given up diary products, chocolate, caffeine, spicy food, fizzy drinks and alcohol. Generally most advice is to eat healthy and exercise. Needless to say I don't think i'm that bad if i ran my first half 2 months ago. I don't think symptoms where cause by stress, depression as that has only started to happen now as running was a huge part of my life.

05/07/2013 at 09:09

This time of year hay fever is a likely cause, if the symptoms are worse when the pollen count is high then this is likely. The symptoms will ease when it is raining.

Otherwise you could be hyper-ventilating (breathing too fast) try focussing on breathing 'out' when you feel you cannot get a breath in.

Otherwise, try breathing out for 3 steps and in for 3 steps whilst running.

05/07/2013 at 09:30

Will try. Have done all the usual hay fever remedies with no luck unfortunately.

05/07/2013 at 11:23

That would suggest trying to - slow -  your  -  breathing  -  is the key; it is easy to say.... not so easy to do!

05/07/2013 at 11:40

Yeah i do need to do that. But the breathing problems are in general not just running. Should of said that lol. Like if i talk to long with out a breath or run up the stairs. Feels like i can only breath in 85% and the the last 15% is a real struggle.

05/07/2013 at 17:05

Hmmmmm more interesting! Normally I would suggest you see your GP, except you have obviously done that! 

Have a read of this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperventilation does any of this sound familiar?

If not I am a bit stumped!

05/07/2013 at 19:56

It could be something like VCD (vocal cord dysfunction), which generally makes it harder to breathe in than out (opposite to asthma). Or a breathing pattern problem which could be a result of adapting your breathing while ill with the flu/cough, which can be corrected/made better by working with a respiratory physio. I think for either you'd need your GP to give you a referral. Whatever it is, if the GP can't get to the bottom of it you'll need referral to a respiratory consultant. Good luck

13/07/2013 at 09:18

Any update Neil?

I have been asking around and someone suggested this...... http://www.powerbreathe.com/ Apparently it is a good piece of kit to help with breathing problems in general and is great for warming up before a race.

I am thinking of getting one myself!

14/07/2013 at 01:34

I am going to go down the doctors again and make more of a fuss. Haven't run much as i have been on holiday, but the throat has been getting worse. Hurts to swallow now and is developing into a cough. Lots of symtoms of Acid reflux but PPI medication didn't work so back to the docs!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.