bruised toe nail

21 to 40 of 41 messages
26/10/2003 at 18:01
I had the same problem, I think with me it's the shape of my foot. If I pull the laces tight enough to stop my foot slipping forward, It makes the top of my foot sore. I've started pulling the laces at the bottom tight, then putting a reef knot in then lacing the rest of my shoe less tightly. Fingers crossed, I haven't had any more damage since I started.- Not even during the "undulating" marathon I'd been training for.
30/04/2004 at 12:26
When I used to run alot in the 1980s my toes got very sore once I reached one hour's running but then it seemed to work itself out. I stopped at 40. It's 14 years since I last ran much, have achieved 75 mins, but I find that from 60 mins + I am having real problems with 3 toes on my left (smaller) foot, they are very sore and the nails very bruised and I can't then run for a couple of days. Any advice, please?
05/09/2004 at 18:20
Dear friends:

After a lot of black nails pricked with a red-burnt pin after dipping my feet on hot water, I realize that my feet where hitting que shoe-top while running thus causing the bruises.

That stopped after I started to pulling tight the lower part of my shoe-laces, so that que shoe would hold firmly my feet, preventing the toes hammering agaist the shoe-top.

Good running!
05/09/2004 at 19:07
I've just stumbled(no pun intended) onto this black toe-nail forum. And I thought it was just me! Thank heavens there are at least another 15 of you out there.Maybe we should set up a support group!
05/09/2004 at 19:10
And it's the one next to my big toe,AND toe on my left foot seems to be developing same problem.So what toe is it on everybody else's foot that has a dodgy nail?
07/09/2004 at 13:57
I had problems with all my toes in both feet, except my 2 smaller toes (outer toes)!
07/09/2004 at 15:57
I had an accident moving furniture and tore out my toe nail on my big foot. At A+E they re-bedded it, but I have not been able to tolerate wearing trainers since and therefore haven't run now for 3 weeks!
The advice from the hospital was that it would take 6 weeks for the new growth although I cant see any evidence of new growth yet. Yesterday I put on my trainers and walked around the lounge which felt ok. I'll probebly go for a walk outside tonight to see how it feels, but am naturally impatient to start running again. Can anyone advise me when I will be able to run again without causing further damage or disloging the nail??
Thankyou so much this is my 1st time on the forum,
Tez

10/09/2004 at 12:54
I'm no expert, but if you want things to grow back properly...I would suggest you do an bit of cross training and leave the running for a while - no point in starting back too early and then having to stay off running because you hurt the nail again - try gel top caps from Boots when you do go back running...but in the meantime do an bit of swimming and cycling to get up the fittness and then start running...gently !!

Good Luck !!
20/06/2006 at 00:20
Hello,
Thanks for the advices everyone....
I have blisters and sore nails on my left foot only....right foot is not affected at all !
is it related to the way I run ? still i think I push more on my right foot

20/06/2006 at 09:02
Try going to see a podiatrist - I've lost 4 nails through having a 'funny' running style - , that was put down to the way I walk (I supernate!). Now I have orthotics fitted for my problem & I don't have any problems at all. Most people have one foot larger than the other, so maybe you need to look at your shoes too. If you go to the podiatrist, take your running shoes with you, so that he/she can see what's going on.
Good luck.
20/08/2006 at 00:27
The hat and Devious or anyone who has lost a toenail...help!
I just lost my little toe - it turned brown and became loose and so finally was able to clip it down. Yes, it looks pretty lumpy underneath but after spending some time researching I can't decide if it's due to trauma or a fungal infection. I did not experience any pain throughout maybe a slight discomfort but more freaked out than anything else. I recently discovered I was running in the wrong size shoe but since then have gotten a bigger size. Can't decide if I should go to a podiatrist b/c the thought of someone else probing my feet scares me. Since there is no pain I'm inclined to skip the visit. Anyone have any advice? Is there a way to treat it while it grows back? I've been washing it out w. hydrogen peroxide, and using neosporin and bandaging. YucK! I love running but it's so hard on the body!

Thanks all!
20/08/2006 at 00:55
Ow, ow, ow, ow! God, you guys are having a hell of a time! I seem to lose the toe nail on my second toe, left foot every year at the Dundee half marathon!!!!

My major problem is blistering on my 2 big toes. Been to see a chiropodist (who is also my sports therapist) and she removed a hell of a lot of skin (totally grossed me out!). Seems my eczema has returned on my feet after an absence of 23 years! I'm moisturising them religiously, but it's really painful to run. It feels that I'm getting blisters when I run, but when I check my feet afterwards, there's no blisters there!

Any ideas????
01/09/2006 at 09:59
I run road marathons and mountian running in very-very rough conditions. I have suffered from busied toe nails over the years What I have being doing for the last few years is cutting the tongue out of my old running shoes and trimming the top off leaving a half to three quarters of the tounge.Place in your running shoe between the tongue of the shoe and your sock. Even though your shoe is the correct size the problem area could be your instep. It will not chaff or give you blissters as it does not move. As it fills that area of the shoe it stops you sliding forward I hope this make sense

15/02/2009 at 20:04

i seem to be ahving a problem of late not with bruied toenails - but bruised toes/bal of feet.  running shop where i got my shoes are decent and they are sure i have the right trainers (& 1/2 size too big)..

got tight calfs/salus at present which  cant seem to untighten. this could be the problem?

on both feet its the 3rd toe which "hurts" under the toe and at the end of it...

23/07/2009 at 15:26
So glad to find this old thread. I am having a similar problem but is getting my 3rd and 4th toe strangely enough.. my shoes are big enough, obviously as it isn't affecting my big toes. I have orthodics.. maybe I'll try the tightening of laces and see how I go.
05/01/2012 at 22:17
Bah, karma getting me after doing 10k plus for the foest time my first toe nail is badl6 bruised. Should I not run or just use a gel thing as mentioned or a plaster or something?. Been making such good progress I'm loathed to have to stop for a week or two
06/01/2012 at 00:25
Well, after a couple of beers I decided to go for the red hot needle pressure release! Ahh , nail no longer black, pressure reduced... wonder if I've saved the nail?
25/05/2012 at 03:56

No you haven't. It helps the pain, but nail will still fall off. Watch out for infection.

30/09/2012 at 20:27

The second toe next to my big toe is very bruised and really painfull, far worse than my old lady knees after a 9 mile training run, I will try with my other trainers next week, but the ones I am running in were properly fitted so sore

24/06/2013 at 22:38

Yep my second toe left foot is very tender. My trainers are a size bigger than shoe size and I wear ood socks. The toe is a hammer toe and I know I claw it when I dont concentrate on trying to relax it............. dreading the 10k water wipeout on saturdy...........will try that sponge protector I think  

21 to 40 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.