Bunions

Relieving the pressure on the second toe

2 messages
21/04/2007 at 20:31
I have had bunions for donkey's year, ever since I was a kid - they don't really cause me any problems and over the years they've improved due to yoga practice stretching the toes out straighter.

The problem I'm having is that I find on longer mileage runs the pressure on the second toes in (they're on both feet)seems to make it start to go a bit numb and I find the toes are really sore, the nail is likely to become painful. When I did the GNR both the toes were completely numb for miles and I lost both nails and had big blisters underneath.

I don't feel its really needed to have the operation to remove them as they are not getting any worse, but is there anything else I can do prevent the pain? I have plenty of room in the toe box of my shoes - would padding help between the toes or would this make it worse when I run? I find if I try to straighten the toes up too much I get really bad cramp in my arch.

Any suggestions I would be really grateful for! I
22/04/2007 at 21:32
something simple but worth a try
get some chiropody felt (semi-compressed felt try and google it)
and cut a do-nut shape and stick that onto the underside of your foot around the metatarsal head - the bit that hurts (wish i could draw a picture)

it should take the pressure off

it probably wouldn't work for two hours of running as the felt would get squashed but worth a try before you start doing something more drastic

if it works might be worth having a simple insole made which does the same thing but in a more permanent form

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.