Calf cramp

Cramping

19 messages
07/11/2005 at 10:31
Hi all I know this isn't a good place to get a true diagnosis, but I have been getting occasional Extremely PAINFUL crampin (or what feels like severe cramp) in my right calf - it then takes 2-3 days for my calf muscle to feel strong again, it feels weak and tender afterwards...does this sound like anything anybody else gets or like a sports related injury? I know I tend to over do it sometimes, but the cramping seems to be when I have rest for 2 days. This happens about once a month. If anybody could enlighten me I'd be grateful, I'm not sure if a doctor or a physio is best to see - any help would be grateful as no doubt will have to wait a week for a dr's appointment in which time the symptoms would have subsided. Thank you very much!!!!
07/11/2005 at 15:22
Kat go see sports physio i had bad calf injury and made it hell because i kept running on it.
07/11/2005 at 15:26
did it feel like cramp too? Is yours healed now?
07/11/2005 at 15:30
Hi yes it did but week after week it got sore it was muscle tare .It always goes in a different part of the muscle so after a few tares you will feel it .I went from running 6-7 x a week to no running and loads of physio.Then weeks of only running on flat soft ground its better now but gets sore with speed.
07/11/2005 at 15:37
Hi I wasn't sure if a sports physio could heal it as people have said it sounds like DVT but I'm still pretty young and in fit so didn't think it was likely at my age? My leg actually swells, it used ot happen rarely now it's increasing, more like 1 time a month and it feels bruised afterwards and weak, does that sound familiar? Thanks for listening :o)
I am glad yours has improved the thought of never running would kil me!!!
07/11/2005 at 15:45
Hi Kat you never give up i was told twice to not run again and the second part of this year i have done loads of races.Ok some races i have hurt my injurys a bit but others i was great running slower but better to run than to sit on bum.I felt mine getting tight then it felt like my calf would burst if i didn`t stop and after run calf would be sore.Send me email and i will help you with more info and see if i can help going for a run now before it gets dark.Some days you think i cant run anymore or thats it it will never get better but it will just need some good help dont listen to people that dont run.DVT pulling your leg its muscle problem i think bye for now.
08/11/2005 at 16:03
Hi kat have you got physio yet?
08/11/2005 at 16:36
hey not yet!! but I'm on to it !!! thanks!! I feel better today much better but still best safe than sorry :o)
How was ur run
08/11/2005 at 16:49
My run was rubbish felt funny when i was out i take out running group tonight and i will go for a run first.Tell me what physio says.
08/11/2005 at 16:54
my calf right one feels constantly hard like im flexing it also have a pain on the outside running up to the knee any ideas??
08/11/2005 at 16:59
U run some mileage hill runner, you're a lot better than me! I tned to stick to the treadmill as it's too scary to run in the dark on my own!
08/11/2005 at 16:59
Hi johnny could be scare tissue have you had the injury long time and still running on it?
08/11/2005 at 17:01
Thanks kat i used to run about 1hr 30min each week day then more at the weekeneds but got injurys now run when i can.
08/11/2005 at 17:05
blimey - wot an understatement! do u belong to a club I presume? I'm thinkin of joinin one but takes that initial guts to go!
08/11/2005 at 17:12
i had knee op in may on cartlidge i was wondering if this was connected ... thanks for the reply hillrunner
08/11/2005 at 17:29
Johnny when you have a bad injury your body will shift your weight to help its self.So over a long time running with knee problem your calf like mine has taken on all the work so i would say its linked go to physio dont keep trying it after a few days like i did only makes it harder to fix .Good luck mate need to go now .

Kat no i run with a super bunch of guys and girls never ran in a club my pals have helped me over 14 years luv them all best pals.You go and run with club you will become a better runner for it.
14/11/2005 at 08:52
Hi kat you had a physio look at injury ?
15/11/2005 at 09:02
Just been reading this thread - A couple of months ago I went out for a run with a new running partner who was way faster than me,and I foolishly tried to keep up. Ended up a few days later with severe calf pain and oon my subsequent run ended up having to hop back home for an hour (Had no money woth me for transport). I rested it for a few while then started running again very slowly with only slight discomfort. Did a couple of slow 8k runs last week and found it really tough. last night I was in agony with calf pain again - feels like it is swelling up and going to burst! (altho it doesn't look swollen). I guess from the earlier message this may be something I should get a phsyio to look at before running again?
15/11/2005 at 09:11
Hi ruby it looks like a calf tare yes go to physio the quicker you get it worked on the faster you will be back running.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.