Calf strain

5 weeks after calf strain

3 messages
22/06/2014 at 11:52

Hi

i strained my soleus 5 weeks ago, since then I have used iced, heat, ibuprofen and exercises from physio. At 3 weeks I tried a small run to see the progress, after 1 mile  it was sore again so walked home. The physio says try a small run when it hurts stop and walk. I am now at 5 weeks calf felt good but once again after one mile of a short run I got a shooting pain in the middle of calf !  This is getting very frustrating do I need more rest ? I just feel as though I am not getting any further. I had a mild strain in my soleus a month before this happened, perhaps I need my gate analysed . Can anyone help? 

24/07/2014 at 15:17

Tracy-sounds like what Im suffering from.My physio says the problem is sciatica in the back but radiating/referring the pain down the nerve to my calf. Stretches dont help as its the back problem that needs addressing.As its early on I shouldnt aggravate the problem by running or cycling but should remain active by walking swimming where my posture remains straight. My problem started 3 weeks before Boston Marathon when I lifted some bags of animal feed. Unfortunately whilst initially it was only back ache the calf problem came forthe first time stopped me after 8 miles in the race itself.I did finish but only after 20 mins of treatment in the medical tent. I was ok after that until 3 weeks ago when again I think I did some more lifting .Not sure when this will pass.Im afraid to go on a test run having had to stop after 1-2 miles on 3 occasions.Good luck and hope you make quicker progress than me.

26/07/2014 at 09:45

I've just suffered a minor tear in mine. I've always had tight calves and grouchy achilles tendons and I had a slight cold when I suffered my injury. (I felt pretty good on the run up until that point). My physio thinks it's a glute issue, ie they are not firing properly, and has given me a load of glute activation exercises to do along with heel drops (which I was doing anyway). Try doing glute work and see if it improves. I'm hoping it does the trick for me as I have a half marathon in October.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.