Calling for help from any other sports therapists/physios/runners etc

Peroneal nerve injury

6 messages
18/11/2012 at 16:14

I'm pissed off.

I don't know what to do anymore. My peroneal nerve is compressed and its causing me severe dorsal foot pain. Thats the only symptom I get but when it happens, it stays and I can't even walk.

I've managed to manipulate my tibialis anterior/peroneus muscles so that the pain stays away for a while (I've got up to 8 miles until it starts going again) but recently, I get the ache after 1.5 miles.

What can I do? The main areas I've worked have been lateral side of my lower leg, just below knee, and just above ankle.

Do I have to call it a day for now? I don't really like to do that. I'm all anti-stop running. I believe everything can be fixed and I can't really see how resting as such would help in the long term, because once I start running again, I'm just going to see this happen again. If the muscle/muscles are tight somehow then surely any NMT's would be more effective than just a prolonged resting period?

Any OTHER ideas?

PSC    pirate
18/11/2012 at 16:19

what is compressing it..?  I would look for a source of the injury rather than a solution otherwise, as you say, it's going to keep coming back.

18/11/2012 at 16:33

Yeah thats the thing. I'm not 100% sure what the root cause is. I can tell when I work on it myself where its compressing and I can manipulate it enough to stay away for a little while but it comes back after few days.

18/11/2012 at 18:18

...it loves getting compressed around the head of your fibula (outside of your leg below the knee) due to a "postural fault" (meh!) with your ankle - tying sock garters too tight can compress it too or letting your knee roll out and rest your car door when driving etc etc

I think I go further north and have a good mooch around your back, which can be totally painfree and full of movement.

A pure compression is pretty rare...

18/11/2012 at 21:20

I'd probably go with the postural fault... I don't drive (I do, but not for few years as I haven't got a car)

Got a really bad anterior tilt on my pelvis which has been known to cause me problems in the past.

Right. I need to find someone who can give me a proper postural check and tell-off. It's pretty hard to analyse it all myself.

18/11/2012 at 21:21

Thank you for the replies so far

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.