calories

11 messages
28/05/2008 at 12:54

how do you work ot if you are eating the right amout of calories! I worked 0ut i eat bout 1500-700 a day and run or workout 50mins-90mins most days! i hjavent lost weight if anything i have gained a few pounds-Easpically when i was running more- (thought id lose weight)

cougie    pirate
28/05/2008 at 13:01
Are you quite sure you are eating enough ? Isnt it 2000 calories for women and I thought that was without exercise ?

If I exercised for 90 mins - I could burn 1000 calories easily...
28/05/2008 at 13:58

Shenz - really depends how heavy you are, how fast you run, whether you're measuring your calorie intake accurately...but it does sound the kind of intake/exercise level that you should lose weight on. Sometimes you get a blip if you increase the amount you're exercising. Also if you eat too little it can slow things down as well as limit the benefits of exercise because of you not having the nutrients you need to recover afterwards.

For calorie needs per day, formulas suggest:

women: 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

men: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

This figure is your basal metabolic rate (what you need for basic functioning, and you shouldn't go under this for calorie intake). Multiply it by 1.375 if you're lightly active and 1.55 if you're moderately active and about 1.8 (I think) if you're very active for calorie usage per day. If you eat this many calories, you'll maintain your weight.

1lb of fat contains about 3500 calories, so burning 3500cals more than you eat should shift 1lb. If it doesn't, then there are all sorts of things it could be eg water retention (which can depend on what kind of food you eat), but over the course of several weeks, it should drift down.

28/05/2008 at 13:59
Am I a complete anorak ??
28/05/2008 at 18:33

raich byour not! just to techniqual, scientific or what ever you want to call it! Whats the women 655? why is it more then the mans?

help me out here im confussed! im 27 5ft6ins weight 8st 4 (im not trying to loss weight by the way, it was just that when i was trainning for the marathron i was worried that i would) ( also i eat loads just healthly and try to eat more but dont know how much more i can eat, as i already feel like im eating all the time.)

so break down how would i work this out?

Im being cheeky and asking you to do it for me_sorry but nut good with figures-

28/05/2008 at 18:53

Is that formula right????

Cos if it is I should be the size of a bus.......that would allow me a total of 1255 calories a day - probably eat AT LEAST twice that!!!

28/05/2008 at 19:15
i think its abit wrong cause it didnt sound right to me!
29/05/2008 at 08:32

I've no idea why the figures are what they are. The basic formula given on a nutrition course I went on for BMR was weight in kg x 25 - NB BMR is what you need just for your metabolic processes if you do absolutely nothing else - but that doesn't differentiate for men or women or for age, and is probably more accurate for younger people.

Alegna - sounds very low, are you multiplying for activity levels? Also bear in mind that if you're exercising a lot, you might need more. I get 1372 for BMR, but bear in mind that's what you shouldn't go under, even if you're trying to lose weight - it isn't your calorie allowance unless you are trying to lose weight at the quickest rate you can. Depending on my activity levels, I'd then multiply by between 1.3 and 1.8 to get a total of between 1783 and 2469. I'm probably nearer the upper level (if i sat around all day and did no exercise I'd need the lower level). Alternatively, I'd multiply by 1.3 then add in the calorie burn for weekly exercise divided by 7 (I probably average 40-45 miles running plus other bits of cross training, so around 5000 calories ) so say 700 cals a day, which brings me out to 2483.

There are lots of different formuli, and I've no idea who's worked them out, but I get roughly the same with most of them. And it's pretty difficult to calculate your intake and expenditure exactly, so a bit of error margin isn't going to make much difference.

09/04/2009 at 09:01

Runny Bunny

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. You've helped put my mind at rest. I've been looking at every website going and they all say something diffrent. I run 25-30 miles a week and thought 1800 calories would be enough and couldn't understand why I always feel hungry. 

I'm going to eat my hot cross bun and enjoy it. lets hope my running will inprove now I know I've not had enough fuel in the tank

09/04/2009 at 09:21
Bizarrely sometimes you need to eat more (of the right stuff) in order to lose weight. Too few cals and your bod holds onto em. The intensity of your exercise is another factor as this affects the fuel sources - fat burning vs carb during activity. Frequency, intensity, type and time - FITT. And weight training burns cals big time - even at rest, unlike running.
09/04/2009 at 10:51
I've used www.weightlossresources.co.uk as a guide to how much I'm eating, its a calorie counting website, you enter everything you eat and how much exercise you do. It tells you how much % of carbs, fats and proteins you are eating. - its really useful and is free for 24 hours def worth a look.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.