Calories

Lossing the flab!

6 messages
21/01/2009 at 14:10

Hello all,

I have been running for around 3 years now. I have trained for many different events and distances however one thing still baffles me..... Calorie count and loosing weight.

I used to be around 21 Stone and have lost that nicely over 5 years. I am now around 12 1/2 stone however i still have a layer of fat around my middle that will not shift.

I need to understand my calories and what my consumation should be. I believe my BMR is around 1900 calories per day. So without exercise if I took on 1400 calories per day I would loose 1lb fat each week. - I get that.... however.... what if on 4 of the 7 days I do a run thats over an hour (using over 1000 Calories each run) then that day is something like BMR = 1900 - 1000 Run = 900 Calories... surely thats too much of a deficit and the body will store the fat and enter hunger mode?

Can someone advise on this because its driving me mad!

Thanks - Nathan

21/01/2009 at 14:18
No, it's 1900 - 500 + 1000 = 2400 calories to eat on a day you do a 1000 calorie run
21/01/2009 at 14:28
yes, if you eat 500 calories less a day you should roughly lose 1 lb a week.  if you aim to take in 1400 calories a day through which to do that then on the days you run you'll only be taking on board 400 calories and therefore will lose weight at a quicker rate.  just eat 1000 extra calories on the days that you run to maintain your current rate of weight loss.
21/01/2009 at 15:06

ok thats both great answers. It was the one I was edging toward but I ddint want to over eat, get it wrong and put on weight.

Thanks for your advice .

21/01/2009 at 15:07

As a side issue, do you know what the starvation mode is of the body? I understood that if you had a defecit of over 1000 calories then your body actually panics and stores fat. Is that true or do you just loose more weight?

21/01/2009 at 16:10

If you continually maintain a deficit over a few weeks, your metabolism will slow down and it becomes harder to lose weight ... this is what I reckoned had happened here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/135353/

... and, of course, it's easier to put it on if/once you start eating again (which often happens ocne motivation levels drop due to no furher weight loss) ... the classic yo-yo diet.

The other thing to take into account is that if you are 21 st, then you only have to run 18 miles to burn 1lb of fat ... if you're 12 stone, you have to run 33 miles!  And on top of that, the difference in daily BMR is 3200 at 21st compared to 1800 at 12st, so the thinner person has to drop consumption by 500/1800 (28%) whereas the heavier person has only to drop by 500/3200 (16%) to lose the same weight. So basically, it gets harder to lose weight the lighter you get ... which is good really otherwise we'd fade away!

But, hey, if you've lost 8 1/2 stone, you're the expert! Fantastic achievment!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.