Can I ask advice about my PF/foot problem?

Maybe it's not pf at all?

21 to 23 of 23 messages
25/08/2008 at 16:25

I seem to be able to cope with the pain that comes and goes - limping about after any extending period of sitting still - but worry about "heel spur" - I have heard that this can develop if you just keep running with PF and requires surgery to correct.  Is this some kind of tall tale or am I doing permanent damage by running with this??

25/08/2008 at 21:39

Zak, it depends how much damage you have done.  If you stopped running immediatly and get treatment then you might only be off running for a couple of weeks.

In my case I ignored it for about three years, until it got to the stage that I couldn't put any weight on it at all, and then I saw a podiatrist out of dispair.  I honestly didn't think that he would be able to do anything for me, but he got me limping along almost immedaitly (huge improvement), walking properly again in a couple of weeks and I was beginning to run after about 2 months - although only for 10 min at a time.

When it comes back I rest for only a couple of days and it goes away again.

Beachcomber - Again, I think it depends on how much you ignore it.  If you keep getting pain, resting, running again and getting pain again then you can build up long term damage.  If the incidents are rare (mine are about three or four times a year) and you get the occassional massage to break down any scar tissue, then I think you will be alright.

With any injury, if it keeps occurring then you will build up scar tissue.  This will eventually stiffen up the area so that it can't do it's job properly, so other areas have to compensate.  That's when you get secondary issues (heel spurs could be one of them, I don't know) and often these are more serious than the initial injury.

26/08/2008 at 08:37

As desperate as I am to get back running again, I just daren't run with pf, because I don't want to do any long term damage and prevent my future running. I'd rather have a few months out now than end up having surgery (I had surgery on my hands last year and the memories are far too vivid still - I'll avoid any surgeon at any cost!!).

2 weeks til my pod appointment!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.