Can I overcome fear of heights?

21 to 28 of 28 messages
09/02/2004 at 13:13
Tiger - there is a big climbing wall in Redhill. Lots of differnt routes of different diffuculties and I have hear it is very good.

Crash Hamster    pirate
09/02/2004 at 16:06
I have sweaty palms just reading this thread...yep, I don't like heights AT ALL!

I agree that it is possible to become desensitised to your fear- several years ago, Dad was repointing the chimney (scaffolding up the side of the house etc) During the course of the fortnight I went from not being able to climb more than 6' off the ground to running around the roof at will...unfortunately that was about 25 years ago and I've lost my nerve again now!
09/02/2004 at 16:11
I've just looked at the website for the Redhill wall and my son's reported back that's the one he's been to. They've got a beginners course and a Tiger Club, looks promising! I'm (sort of) looking forward to giving it a go, probably wait until the marathon training's over, not enough hours in the day as it is!

Thanks for all your feedback everyone.
10/02/2004 at 15:14
Is the one in Redhill the one on the sort of trading estate in Salfords? If not, can you let me know whereabouts in Redhill as I'd like to try to overcome my fears too (also reduced to quivering wreck at Tough Guy in 1999!). Or give me the website address. Ta.
10/02/2004 at 15:50
Yes that's the one I was thinking of.

Good luck - maybe I should join you!
10/02/2004 at 16:33
Here's the website:

http://www.high-sports.co.uk/

This is going to be a laugh - a bunch of quivering wrecks clinging 3ft off the ground on a wall!
10/02/2004 at 18:40
Hi Tiger

I think there are lots of different types of fears of heights, I'm happy as Larry on a knife edge ridge, but hate looking off high man-made things. For what it's worth, I've got a completely unfounded theory about one type of fear of heights. I spent quite a lot of time walking in the alps and although I could be on a wide enough path, if I looked down a steep slope into a big valley I felt really dizzy. I think it was because my brain just wasn't used to looking down and seeing something 3 miles away, rather than 3 feet away. Anyway, I found if I just sat down and spent 15 minutes or so looking at the view and getting my brain used to it then I was fine after that.

Quite fancy one of those Ironman things, is it horrible though?

Cheers
Dunk
Suffolk Punch    pirate
11/02/2004 at 09:15
I've never had a problem with hieghts, only water, or rather when I can no longer touch the bottom and still breathe, it's an irrational fear as I can easily swim (not stroingly however) if I had to. I'm no expert on these matters so I'm not going into the whys, but a couple of mates of mine are afraid of heights and overcame their fears by coming Rock Climbing with me. There are a large number of indoor rock walls springing up all over the place, usually run beginners' courses and the folk there are always very freindly.

My friends are now better climbers than me, in Oz we scaled sheer-180 meter sandstone rock outcrops in 4 pitches (to those in the know...) and abseiled down again!

Try it - it's great fun!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.