Can you immobilise a calf muscle to avoid injury.

5 messages
11/08/2009 at 17:13

Hi, can anyone save my running.

I have a real weakness in my right calf muscle. 

I have torn it a number of times.

My gait which i have had checked x2 is very neutral as are my running shoes.

It normally tears during a long run eg. over 10k. (fatigue) more than over stretching.

I follow the RICE procedure following the injury and then strengthening exercises on my calfs and finally i will start the slow introduction of light running etc. etc.

What i would like to know, can you immobilise the calf by a tight bandage or support when running to avoid the injury or is this likely to cause injury elsewhere.

11/08/2009 at 19:54

It sounds like your calf needs some deep intense massage. Through tearing it several times it has created scar tissue.

The scar tissue has shortened the muscle, and the more you keep tearing it the worse it will get.

12/08/2009 at 07:58

Thanks Zanzinger i will get my wife onto it immediately.

Any ideas about strapping it up for races and longer runs?

12/08/2009 at 11:19
Trust you or your wife knows about massaging out scar tissue. It needs doing properly and if she really loves you she may not be able to cause you sufficient pain.
12/08/2009 at 12:09

Find a good professional masseur. They are worth their weight in gold!

Working the scar tissue out of the muscle is a vey skilled operation. Very painful, cross fibre friction, and muscle stripping.

If your missus is like the women I know, she'll prod about abit, rub it a bit and then say her fingers are aching! . You need a man with strong arms and a sadistic streak.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.