Can you stretch/foam roll too much?

Can't run, am I addicted to foam rolling?

7 messages
07/02/2009 at 11:57
I have overdone it/damaged my hip flexors.  Advised to do the usual stretching and foam rolling and not run until no pain.  I find foam rolling gets rid of all the pain - then over the next hour or so it all starts tightening up again.

Do I foam roll as frequently as possible whenever the tightness comes back - or should I only do a certain number of times a day?  I sort of think that if it's loosening things up enough to get rid of the pain then it must be a good thing - but maybe I'm not giving the muscle fibre things enough time to recover? 

During the week I've been the same with stretching at work (as no foam roller there!) - been stretching maybe every hour.  This also eases the pain until it starts tightening up again.

Is this all too much, or is this the right thing to do?

It doesn't seem to be getting any better whatever I do!!

Thanks in advance.
07/02/2009 at 13:27
I only stretch once a day, and use the roller myself after a run.  to much stretching can be just as bad, if not worse than doing none.
08/02/2009 at 00:29

I don't like the sound of this...not one bit.  There is help out there you know, you just have to take the first step..........

"My name is B Team and I am a stretchaholic!"

08/02/2009 at 09:56
Even more concerningly I find the foam roller to be nothing other than an instrument of torture, are there other aspects of your private life you're not telling us about (BDSM etc).........
08/02/2009 at 10:02
That's what worries me.  It's always the quiet ones, don't you find?
08/02/2009 at 10:09
Oh yes.......
08/02/2009 at 11:13

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.