CHAFING

1 to 20 of 21 messages
09/10/2002 at 02:52
anyone got any ideas on how to prevent chafing on the inner thighs? this only affects me when i wear shorts and then after about 8 miles.i now wear longs for all runs over 10k but i find that the longs get very sweaty after 10 miles.i notice that around 90% of marathon runners wear shorts---how do they solve the chafing problem?i am running the dublin marathon and would be grateful for advice on this.
09/10/2002 at 07:28
I tried vaseline recently and it worked, but it has to be said that it's a bit messy and yukky.

I've heard that Bodyglide is best, and as soon as I get organised I'm going to send off for some. I read here that it's available from Wayside Kinetics in Cambridge via http://www.way-side.demon.co.uk/main_frameset.html

Good luck :)
09/10/2002 at 08:02
Try cycling shorts. Bourne sports have 'em on offer right now a tenner a pair.
WildWill    pirate
09/10/2002 at 08:06
If you go for cycling shorts - make sure you get the non padded variety - the padded insert can make for awkward running ;o)

I prefer the Vaseline option myself
09/10/2002 at 11:14
lycra shorts and a liberal dose of vaseline.
cougie    pirate
09/10/2002 at 11:21
Nobody mentioned lubrication to me when I was persuaded into running - only after I had my entry for London was I told about the brutal initiation - the 'slathering on of the Vaseline'.

What sick kinda perverts are you ?

;-)
09/10/2002 at 12:11
When I did the Robin Hood the other week, at about 12 miles I passed a St Johns Ambulance volunteer holding out her hand containing a large blob of the stuff. I mean what was I going to do with it at that moment in time ? Surely I would have been artrested !
09/10/2002 at 13:03
I too have a thigh chafing problem in those little "marathon" shorts, so I wear Lycra shorts instead - I like the Nike Drifit ones. I find I can wear the little shorts if I wear plenty of vaseline too, but it seems easier to stuff them at the back of the drawer and wear other stuff instead.

A long term solution to the problem would seem to be to reshape my thighs so they didn't rub together. Anyone know any good exercises for that, or do I need surgery?!
09/10/2002 at 13:04
Yes its the old vaseline for me, but how do you get it off your hands before you run? tried washing it off but its waterproof.
09/10/2002 at 13:06
Cougie

"What sick kinda perverts are you ?"

Have you SEEN the Dark Side thread?
09/10/2002 at 13:09
I have seen the dark side thread !

What are they on about ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
cougie    pirate
09/10/2002 at 13:36
Oh well, we know all about them. Stay away little cat - those badgers and foxes can be vicious. And as for the monkey......

Last I looked there was a Tractor involved. Must be some kinda Agricultural Sacrificing ritual.
09/10/2002 at 14:34
How right you are Cougie, there is even someone (mentioning no names) who thinks he is a badger !!!!!!!!!!
12/10/2002 at 02:17
thanks to all for your suggestions--have tried the vaseline--ok up to 6 miles --after that misery--had hoped that a hi-tech solution may have evolved considering the many hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions)who have done long distance races--might make a good Phd project for a budding sports scientist or materials techie--Piglet,i will also try Bodyglide--thanks for the tip---what is the "dark side"?
12/10/2002 at 02:28
u don't want 2 go 2 the dark side mate. you won't come back.
12/10/2002 at 08:31
Go on Jim, I dare you
I have to run in longs as well, only solution I fear
Do the vaseline as well, just in case
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/10/2002 at 21:06
Jim - those who mentioned Bodyglide have it right, it's the best invention since sliced bread. Us triathletes use it a lot to prevent chafing of thighs and nipples in wet swimsuits, also under Neoprene wetsuits to prevent sore necks/arms/knees. And it doesn't get on your hands either - it comes in a push-up stick like a deodorant. I can't live without it for endurance events.
15/10/2002 at 22:14
i borrowed a pair of lycra shorts to run in a 10 mile race on sunday 13th---totally daft looking but what comfort---no chafing no sweating no irritation--am getting a pair despite looking like an escapee from the tour de france--will also try the bodyglide---thanks for all the suggestions
still havent a clue about the dark side
15/10/2002 at 23:26
just try it Jim
15/10/2002 at 23:38
benz,
am totally intrigued by this "dark side"--how do i access it?
1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.