Cholesterol

14 messages
14/10/2006 at 15:00
Just had my yearly blood tests and it has shown that my "bad" cholest is higher than normal.....just when I thought I was doing well with my running and training - up to 20km now...!! What to do? Anyone else have this, and is it serious? Got enough body issues to deal with (as well as 2 stone trying to shift) without this hampering my Paris Marathon training - anyone else running in it?

Thanks, Onetit
14/10/2006 at 19:07
cut out the meat and processed stuff a bit and eat plenty of fibre. Fresh fish like mackeral and trout are good as well as garlic. "Normal" for this country is about 5.1 which in itself is high (doctors here will correct me if I'm wrong) so if it higher than that it needs attending to. Your running has possibly helped but diet needs to be dealt with.
14/10/2006 at 20:23
Why do you have yearly blood tests, onetit, and have you have your overall cardiovascular risk calculated? Your "cholesterol number" on is fairly meaningless taken in isolation.

Hoose, I'm not sure where you got 5.1 from. In people with diabetes or who have had a heart attack, stroke, or have other evidence of serious arterial disease, we aim to reduce total cholesterol (which isn't the same as "bad" cholesterol) to under 5.0mmol/l, and there's some evidence that a lower target might reduce the statistical risk of certain nasty health events even further. Otherwise, cholesterol has to be interpreted in the context of age, sex, smoking, blood pressure, family history and other medical conditions.

Mine was 6.1 when I had it checked out of curiosity well over a decade ago, but in the absence of other heart disease risk factors it would have to be about ten times that to be worth taking pills for.
14/10/2006 at 20:28
read it somewhere Vrap -so thoughht I'd check it out - my doc said mine was OK at 4.9 overall for a smoker -probably due to diet. Not much of that was bad I am sure.

I was right on the food front was I?
14/10/2006 at 20:31
Indeed, Hoose. Cutting out the processed stuff is the most useful thing anyone can do with their diet to reduce cholesterol and shift excess weight :o)
14/10/2006 at 20:35
if it wasn't for the fags I'd be picture of health:O)
14/10/2006 at 20:39
Mine was tested last week at 2.1, my doc was asking me for diet tips!!!
14/10/2006 at 22:23
Porridge and soya milk are supposed to be very good cholesterol lowering foods too. Pomegranate juice too.

TT ;0)
14/10/2006 at 22:24
i was gonna say porridge

15/10/2006 at 13:45
Thanks, I am into porridge now it's getting cold so will make sure I have enough in the cupboard.
I have blood tests as I have breast cancer - hence onetit!! The high Bad Cholest could also be the medication I take, and the chemo etc. So am going to be very very good with cutting out cheese and red meat for a while and see how I get on. Thankas again.
Onetit/Karen
15/10/2006 at 14:45
Like your positive atitude, good luck in Paris.
15/10/2006 at 16:56
Respect, Onetit :o)
15/10/2006 at 17:18
Good luck onetit,

Sprinting Toffee, remember that you don't want to get you cholesterol fugure too low - you do need some to keep the body functioning correctly.

If I remember rightly, the quacks don't normally recommend that you go below about 3(?), 2 certainly sounds pretty low to me.

No doubt the scaly little dinosaur will be along shortly to rubbish everything I've just said...
15/10/2006 at 20:57
Would I ever rubbish ANYTHING you say, Haggis?

There's a difference of opinion among experts, with some saying you can't go too low and others being rather less convinced. I suspect it depends on whether or not they're in the pocket of a company that markets a cholesterol-lowering drug ;o)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.