Chondromalacia Patella and Glucosamine / Chondroitin

will it help?

1 to 20 of 34 messages
17/12/2005 at 20:02
Hi,

I've just purchased a bottle of "Chondroitin/Glucosamine Complex".

After taking this, will it help with my Chondromalacia Patella problems?

18/12/2005 at 16:02
Hmmm....I suppose it's worth a try for a few months and see if there is any difference.

I had a very successful operation for mine in September and my knee feels much better than it ever has done :-)
18/12/2005 at 17:28
I don't know if the chondroitin will help, but I am taking glucosamine 500mg x 2, 3 times a day, and it's really helped. I have PFP syndrome. I just started taking collagen (3 before bed) a week ago and that has helped too.

It took about a week with my dose of glucosamine to get improvement. So I don't think that everyone has to wait a few months.
18/12/2005 at 18:40
I take a daily diet of:

MSM
Chondroitin
Glucoamine
collagen
multivitamin
Cod liver oil
Ginseng
Selenium complex
hyaluronic acid

most of these are for joints. I'm 44 and 86Kg and when I upped my running regime two years ago was suffering from an aching hip, sore knee and chronic back pain.

Two years on and I'm completely ache free and have literally never been fitter.

The chemicals cost a lot, but I reckon its worth it.

ps. I'm also thinking of taking Zinc/Echinthea/garlic soon for general health issues.
18/12/2005 at 19:17
yep, they are not cheap but Holland and Barrat had a special deal on £16 reduced from £32 :-)
18/12/2005 at 19:45
Dave

I am taking:
glucosamine
fish oil
devil's claw
collagen
plus a range of other supplements for general health (i.e. multivitamin, zinc)

I'm not convinced that the devil's claw is doing anything.

I'm interested in MSM and hyaluronic acid. I've not heard of H acid. I though MSM was for allergies? Is it also for joints? Can you tell me some more about them?
18/12/2005 at 20:28
There's no scientific reason, or convincing clinical trial evidence, to suggest that glucosamine, chondroitin, or a combination of the two will improve symptoms attributed to chondromalacia patellae. But it appears to be harmless to most people.
18/12/2005 at 20:46
I also heard this. But lots of people seem to recommend it.

would you be inclined to say it is a placebo?
18/12/2005 at 20:48
Of course she would, she's a doctor! ;o)
18/12/2005 at 21:25
"would you be inclined to say it is a placebo?"

<sarcasm>
I guess so... unless the anecdotal evidence happens to come via a pharmaceutical company
</sarcasm>

When first taking all of these supplements, I didn't know which ones were going to work. If a placebo effect was responsible for my reduction in symptoms then surely all (or none) of the supplements would have worked (or not worked). Why then does the devil's claw not work for me, yet the fish oil, the collagen, and the glucosamine do work? Did I subconsciously disfavour devil's claw?

The pharmaceutical companies can't patent natural substances. Which is why is not in their interest to research their efficacy. Which suits me fine - it means my buying supplements isn't mediated by a medical practitioner with no knowledge of orthomolecular medicine. I can just walk into a health food shop and buy what I need. I'm very happy with the current system :-)
18/12/2005 at 21:34
well, I think I'll see how it goes - up to the end of January then post back here if I thought it worked or not. Can't say fairer than that :o)
18/12/2005 at 22:00
Yep, that's exactly what I did. It's all that you can do. Good luck.
18/12/2005 at 22:01
18/12/2005 at 22:28
Ah well, that'd be really interesting IF homeopathy had anything to do with the supplements we've been talking about. I agree with the professor, that homeopathy is a load of b0ll0cks. Which is why I don't use it.
18/12/2005 at 22:33
Re-reading my last post. It's sounds quite snooty. It's not meant to be.
19/12/2005 at 06:19
Lodger, as I understand it MSM is important
in helping the body replace joint tissue, such as tendons and ligament. Its an active source of sulphur which has an important role in such activities.

Hyaluronic acid is not very well known but I learned about it in a US running magazine. Its a natural polymer which helps regenerate cartilage, hence its specifically for joints. Its not cheap, I think about a tenner for 30 tablets, one a day.

I get all of my stuff from Zipvit.co.uk

I agree with a lot of the sentiments above, its pseudo science and not well researched, but most of the stuff I take has some backup evidence to suggest that they aid joint mobility, reduce osteoporosis and generall protect against wear and tear.
19/12/2005 at 12:08
Dave - great. I have just ordered some MSM and hyaluronic acid. I doubt they'll arrive before Christmas. But then I have plenty of other stuff to be getting on with until they do.
19/12/2005 at 20:51
I take Glucosamine and have just been told by my brother who is a biochemist that it's a waist of time and will not benefit me at all as your body makes this naturally.
19/12/2005 at 21:56
Lol, my Dad often tells me that something is "a load of rubbish" or a "waste of time".

Forgetting your brothers comments, have you youself found any value to taking Glucosamine?
19/12/2005 at 22:11
no non at all, been taking it for about 4 weeks now. Don't feel any different. Well except I'm a bit poorer for buying the useless stuff!
1 to 20 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.