Chronic Sciatica

21 to 23 of 23 messages
10/01/2008 at 14:58

I'm great now.....the original post was over 3 years ago!

FYI, my sciatica was caused by a form of rheumatism that inflamed my sacroiliac joints that in turn nipped my sciatic nerve.

I'm on NSAIDs (diclofenac sodium) for ever more....even my own antibodies don't like me!

With respect, the Backlife was no good to me and would never have been due to my problems being arthritic etc. Spent a fortune on physios, chiropractors and other quacks too.

10/01/2008 at 17:00

ha ha thats funny! (the old post I mean)

How did you find out that you had a form of rheumatism? Was it blood tests?

Is diclofenac as bad as ibuprofen for taking long term?

10/01/2008 at 20:39

Roberts,

After about 5 months of physios, chiropractors and other "bone benders" I was advised by one of the them that the muscles on my back were all swollen and that I should see my GP and get some blood tests carried etc.

Basically, I was picked up as having inflammatories in my blood (as well as having an under-active thyroid too). I was started on the diclofenac sodium's. It made a world of difference immediately. Managed to actually sleep without waking up in complete agony, even breathing (rib movement) caused enormous pain too. My GP passed me on to a Rheumatologist and that was 3 years ago now.

That wasn't plain sailing either. The initial x-rays came back as negative, and his blood test (alledegly) came back negative for the inflammatories so he took me off the diclofenacs saying there was nothing wrong with me. Well, in a week I was back at my GP's with all the symptoms back, they sent me for more blood tests. The inflammatories were back. They re-referred back to the Rheumatologist again. This time he sent me for an MRI scan which did reveal that my sacroiliac joints were indeed the issue.

He has concluded that I have Ankylosing Spondylitis. Link

I'm only on 2 x 50mg of diclofenac sodium daily, so it isn't even a full dosage but I have been on them for just over 3 years now but they do not appear to be causing me any internal problems but I believe that they are just as bad as ibuprofen and shouldn't really be taken for over 12 months in normal circumstances. I have just had a blood test on Tuesday to confirm that they are not damaging me.

Curently, knocking out about 45 miles a week without any problems, so life is not all bad.

<!-- 3rd Level Nav -->

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.