Cramp kills calf

Is it sensible to run?

4 messages
20/09/2002 at 10:05
Hi guys,

Recently took up swimming, figuring that it would improve my breathing and upper body strength, and be a good workout with less risk of injury. Well that was a mistake. While swimming last night my calf muscle went into complete spasm and went rigid for almost ten minutes. Now it's pretty painful when I walk, let alone any running.

So, I'm supposed to be doing the Nike 10k this Sunday, followed by Windsor half the following week. Should I drop out of the Nike run to give my calf time to fix itself? Or should I run the Nike and risk buggering it up and not being able to run Windsor? Or am I just panicking about nothing?

Any suggestions gratefully received, as I've never had cramp like this before and I don't know how much damage it can actually do to the muscle, or how quickly it repairs itself.

cheers
venom
20/09/2002 at 10:14
Venom

How far had you swam at the time? If I remember right calf cramps should be referred to a GP, but I wouldn't bother myself if it happened at the end of a very hard session. If that's the case can you get a massage somewhere?
20/09/2002 at 13:37
Had just done 28 lengths, so it would have been just under 1k. Nothing too excessive anyway, certainly wouldn't describe it as a hard session.

Might have to see if I can get an emergency massage before Sunday.

venom
20/09/2002 at 16:41
Calf cramp - happened to me only once in the pool - I blamed it on the drinking session the night before, and the pain lasted for about 4 or 5 days, but it was only stiffness and could be stretched out. It has only happened once in the pool for me, but did happen when I was adventure racing last weekend. Went from the run (about 10k) onto the bike and both calves cramped. It took a few minutes to die down, and I finished the race (about another 2 hours) with no problem. One thing to try is not pointing your toes so much when swimming, remember to release and relax your calf regularly

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.