Cramps

Complete muscle cramps

9 messages
27/04/2010 at 17:57

Hiya,

Whilst running the Shakespeare marathon on Sunday I went through 15 mile on a 3:30 time then 22 mile on for a 3:45 At 23 miles almost every single muscle in my legs from calfs, quads, shins, toes, groin all went into spasm resulting in me struggling to the finish in 4:03

This was my first marathon, half marathon time of 1:37. Took 3 gels during run, bottle of lucozade sport at 6-7mile and a couple of little cups of water before 15 mile.

Any and all ideas are welcome. Run 3 times per week doing around 40-45 miles per week leading up to run with 3 week taper.

Disheartened runner !!

Nigel

02/05/2010 at 14:04
Low calcium might have something do with it. The mineral is a factor in muscle contraction. Blood test I think.
02/05/2010 at 15:48
Thanks ex-metro, never suffered before in half marathons or any other distances. Lots of people suggest electrolyte drinks and lacking salt? Longest pre-race run was 23 mile and 2 21 mile runs, any views on this or do other people run further than 26 mile distance??
02/05/2010 at 22:05
well I run swim and walk and I get leg cramp sometimes which is o so painful so take it steady
cougie    pirate
02/05/2010 at 22:13
Was it warm ? Had you run long in those tenperatures ?
I top up my salts by drinking isotonic stuff for a couple of days before and I don't skimp on salt too.
03/05/2010 at 09:16

Hi Cougie,

Yeh it was fairly warm for at least 2 hours. I had been running for about 3 1/4 hours when the severe cramp set in but had been having slight cramp from about 2 1/2 hours ( 15-16 miles). You mention salt, you take salt tablets or drinks or how to you top up?

30/08/2010 at 22:58

Hi,

I suffer really painful cramps in the calves whenever i exceed 10M. I have tried magnesium, warm ups, compression socks, everything. I've drank loads of water, and trained the full distance, to no avail. I am prepared to run through a little discomfort, however realsie a Marathon will likely be forever beyond me, however much training and distance I am prepared to invest, which is a dissapointment, as I have always wanted to do one.

Any final suggestions before I give up on my dream?

Ian 

01/05/2011 at 13:14

Don't give up your dream.

The factors are many and overlap, as some things hinder the absorbtion of minerals. Like vitamin D will  effect calcium absorbtion, and coffee and sugar hinder the absorbtion of some things, sugar and vitamin C use the same "doors" so to speak.

Perhaps get a bloodsample to see if you are deficient somewhere.

Keep at it is my advice.

03/05/2011 at 18:59

hi if you come up with an answer let me know?

I ran neolithic marathon last sunday like you trained 30-40 miles a week since december this marathon is cross country with strong head wind my legs felt heavy on 17-18 miles i was on course for 3hrs 30 finish then just before 22 miles my legs started cramping so bad i had to sit down for 2 mins to relax them then it was jog cramp and walk to the end eventually finished 3hrs 38 really dont understand the cramps did this run 2 years ago finished bright no aches could have gone further 3hrs 44 i missed last 6 weeks of training due to abductor tear i dont understand the cramps?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.