Cross training whilst injured

Effect on running fitness?

6 messages
19/10/2002 at 19:07
For the last 4 weeks since I injured myself doing a 1/2 marathon (self diagnosed -- but I am a Vet not a Doctor!-- probably periostitis or a strained tendon at top of my fibula not quite painful enough for a stress fracture.)I have been doing elliptical trainer sessions/bikes in the gym and also some mountain biking.I've been spending the same time and intensity training as my previous running sessions; ie about 1 hour 5 times/week.I'm doing a 10km race tomorrow. Anyone hazard a guess as to whether I've lost much fitness and speed? Since starting running again 9 months ago after a 20 year plus break I've run two 49 minute 10kms a couple of months ago.
19/10/2002 at 22:08
I wouldn't like to guess at what you've lost but I would be interested to know how you get on as I'm currently 1/3 of my way through an enforced 6 week lay off & am also cross training at the same intensity as I was running.

Good luck tomorrow.
20/10/2002 at 00:11
Thanks Pizza man, I'll let you know how I get on.
20/10/2002 at 13:33
RB, you're not still out there?
You must have lost a bit more than you thought!

Just kidding. How'd it go?
20/10/2002 at 14:11
Despite an extremely hilly course, very strong headwinds and sheeting rain I managed 52 minutes.I still felt quite strong at the end.A couple of people who I usually beat, beat me by a minute or so today.I would say that not running and 4 weeks of cross training may have taken the edge off my breathing/ cardiac efficiency but not had much effect on my leg strength.
Pizza man;From my experience you won't be running much slower at all; in better conditions and on a flatter couse I may have achieved my usual time.
More importantly for me today, I didn't have any hint of pain from my injury!
21/10/2002 at 07:47
Well done RB, it must have been great finnishing the race without even a twinge & only a minute or so behind people you usualy beat.
This should give me some idea of where I'll be in 4 weeks.
Thanks

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.