Cry for help from my aching calfs!!

4 messages
08/10/2002 at 22:14
I am sufferring with recurring calf pain to the point that running is nigh on impossible. I think I am sufferring with a shin splint/compartment syndrome injury. I have rested for over 10 days and the pain has subsided-does anyone have any tips on calf stretching/heat/ice application to prevent recurrence? Are there any recommended web sites where I can fnd out more about prevention techniques?
11/10/2002 at 20:26
Mike,

I've had the same symptoms for a few weeks now when I stepped up my training for a 1/2 marathon in Sept. I found that an ice/cold bath right after running and a few hours later again helps. I've also started doing yoga once a week, which really helps with stretching/lengthening the calves and hams. The pain is better, esp. when I stretch well. Hope that helps--hang in there!
11/10/2002 at 21:06
Mike,

I had tight calves and solved them by stretching by using a small step with the balls of my feet on the step and heals over the edge. If you gently rest for about 1-2 mins every day it should help. Massage immediatly after running also helps. If mine are feeling tired or tight when I am in the shower I use a shampoo bottle to rub upwards and help remove the pressure.
14/10/2002 at 07:06
Thanx for the advice, I'll try the massage and the shower trick straight away but the ice bath doesn't sound too pleasant!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.