Cupping Yourself

Is it safe???

1 to 20 of 25 messages
23/02/2013 at 20:24

I would like to do cupping therapy to myself.  It would help to get rid of toxins in your body and relax the muscles in your back.

It also could  help to  improve your breathing

I never tried it but I seen photos of it and I been looking at youtube.  Has anyone ever had it done?

to themselves or done professionally?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_cupping

My fear I might set myself alight.

23/02/2013 at 20:27
23/02/2013 at 20:27

Sounds like a really bad idea to me.....

23/02/2013 at 20:31

KAREN!!!! your back....

23/02/2013 at 20:31

Rob, I saw it  last week advertised in a shop window next to the ear candle!

23/02/2013 at 20:32
Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

KAREN!!!! your back....

23/02/2013 at 20:38

Copied from Wikipedia

Cupping therapy is an ancient Chinese form of alternative medicine in which a local suction is created on the skin; practitioners believe this mobilizes blood flow in order to promote healing.1] Suction is created using heat (fire) or mechanical devices (hand or electrical pumps). It is known in local languages as baguan/baguar, badkesh, banki, bahnkes, bekam, buhang, bentusa, kyukaku, gak hoi, Hijamah, kavaa (????????), mihceme,2] and singhi among others.

Contents
  • 1 Description
  • 2 History
  • 3 Methods
      3.1 Dry cupping
    • 3.2 Fire cupping
        3.2.1 Wet cupping (Al-Hijamah or medicinal bleeding)
  • 4 Traditional Chinese medicine cupping
  • 5 Limited bruising cupping massage
  • 6 Practice
  • 7 See also
  • 8 References
  • 9 Further reading
  • 10 External links
Description

A partial vacuum is created in cups placed on the skin either by means of heat or suction. According to the American Cancer Society, "vailable scientific evidence does not support cupping as a cure for cancer or any other disease". It can leave temporary bruised painful marks on the skin and there is also a small risk of burns.3]

History

There is reason to believe the practice dates from as early as 3000 B.C. from elders of Asian people like ky swan; the earliest record of cupping is in the Ebers Papyrus, one of the oldest medical textbooks in the world, describes in 1550 B.C. Egyptians used cupping. Archaeologists have found evidence in China of cupping dating back to 1000 B.C. In ancient Greece, Hippocrates (c. 400 B.C.) used cupping for internal disease and structural problems. This method in multiple forms spread into medicine throughout Asian and European civilizations.citation needed

Methods

Broadly speaking there are two types of cupping: dry cupping and bleeding or wet cupping (controlled bleeding) with wet cupping being more common.citation needed The British Cupping Society (BCS), an organisation promoting the practice, teaches both. As a general rule, wet cupping provides a more "curative-treatment approach" to patient management whereas dry cupping appeals more to a "therapeutic and relaxation approach". Preference varies with practitioners and cultures.citation needed

Dry cupping

The cupping procedure commonly involves creating a small area of low air pressure next to the skin. However, there is variety in the tools used, the method of creating the low pressure, and the procedures followed during the treatment.4]

The cups can be various shapes including balls or bells, and may range in size from 1 to 3 inches (25 to 76 mm) across the opening. Plastic and glass are the most common materials used today, replacing the horn, pottery, bronze and bamboo cups used in earlier times. The low air pressure required may be created by heating the cup or the air inside it with an open flame or a bath in hot scented oils, then placing it against the skin. As the air inside the cup cools, it contracts and draws the skin slightly inside. More recently, vacuum can be created with a mechanical suction pump acting through a valve located at the top of the cup. Rubber cups are also available that squeeze the air out and adapt to uneven or bony surfaces.citation needed

In practice, cups are normally used only on softer tissue that can form a good seal with the edge of the cup. They may be used singly or with many to cover a larger area. They may be used by themselves or placed over an acupuncture needle. Skin may be lubricated, allowing the cup to move a

23/02/2013 at 20:53

Obviously.

23/02/2013 at 21:21
23/02/2013 at 21:30

Jeez, Can't you just go for a walk?

23/02/2013 at 21:32
I've cupped myself on many occasions. And other people too.
M...eldy    pirate
23/02/2013 at 21:34

If these cups are on your back Karen how on earth can you do this yoursefl? 

23/02/2013 at 21:42
I always thought cupping was something different altogether.
23/02/2013 at 21:53
23/02/2013 at 21:56

I think I may have accidentaly cupped myself before. When I was at college, my music teacher had half a tennis ball on his desk so, making a good bit of suction, I stuck it to my forehead and left it there. It really did promote blood flow - I had to walk around for the rest of the day looking like a complete knob with a big red circle on my head. 

23/02/2013 at 22:02

My physio has done it to me before, bascially to peel the fascia away from the underlying muscle. Works really well on my knotted shoulders and upper back when its otherwise quite painful to have her work on those muscles with her thumbs/elbows etc for long enough to get them to loosen up. 

Only downside is it makes me look like I'm covered in love bites for a couple of days. 

24/02/2013 at 00:54

To quote someone or other whose name escapes me;

Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works?

Medicine.

Remember, ancient chinese medicine is also a great fan of rhino horn and bits of tiger curing impotence. It may not be all utter bullshit, but it's close.

XX1
24/02/2013 at 09:23
A bit cynical Rob.
XX1
24/02/2013 at 09:53

Rob -  it was Tim Minchin 

24/02/2013 at 10:13

File under the heading "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.