Dealing with a strain during taper

4 messages
17/05/2013 at 10:02

Hi all,

Currently training for Edinborough next week, my first full marathon. I'm think I'm in reasonable shape for it (sub-1:30 half marathon three weeks ago) and have put in few good 20 milers. However, I recently did some hard hill runs before starting my taper and have found that I've got some residual strain in my calves and hamstrings. I can run on it over shorter distances, but I'm a bit worried about how things might pan out across 26.2.

So my question is, how much rest can I afford during the last week? Are there any good steps I can take to minimise the risk of problems during the race? Any advice welcome!

Cheers,

Tom

17/05/2013 at 13:32

Rest during this last week - don't worry if you don't run at all. I had three weeks off before Greater Manchester Marathon last year due to a piriformis problem. Did no running at all except one 4-mile jog about three days before when the physio finally allowed it. I was fine on the day (well, except for the near-hypothermia due to the weather conditions).

Also, massage your calves and hamstrings and quads - by hand, or with a massage "stick" (a rolling pin works well as a substitute) or with a foam roller if you have one/like them. Massage morning and evening every day from now to Edinburgh.  If you can afford it, go get a sports massage, sooner rather than later (you don't want one the last couple of days before the race).

Good luck!

17/05/2013 at 17:20

Thanks Debra. I hadn't heard of the rolling pin trick (still need to invest in a foam roller), that sounds quite neat in a pinch. Will give it a shot

17/05/2013 at 17:22

Thanks for the thoughts Debra - I hadn't heard of the rolling pin trick, that's quite neat. I'll give it a shot before investing in a roller

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.