Developed shin split - 7 mile race on Saturday - Help!

11 messages
24/01/2013 at 13:37

Hi Everyones! Really hoping someone can help!

Currently running around 10K at the moment and got a 7 mile race booked for Saturday.

Went out running in the snow on Monday and managed 6.4 miles. Went out last night planning to do 6.5 miles however after 3 miles I had to stop and phone the missus to pick me up as I had the most painful shin split pain.

After resting and putting tiger balm etc on it, I thought I would go out for a nice steady run today, however only managed 1.2 miles before I had to stop and walk back - even walking my shin was very painful.

Does anyone know of a miracle cure etc or anything I can do so I can run the race on Saturday?

24/01/2013 at 13:40
Rest?
24/01/2013 at 13:41

Will 2 days rest be enough?

24/01/2013 at 14:12

Active rest - non-impact exercise - cycling/swimming is best.  You're probably on the wrong forum for miracles though....  Maybe try the God channel?!?

Doesnt sound like its anything that will cure it in 2 days.  Try lots of calf & foot stretching and shin stetches (sitting back on your heels)

24/01/2013 at 14:14

Hi Runners Therapist,

Wishful thinking on my part! Deep down I knew 2 days wouldnt be enough - Just sods law its 2 days before the race.

Will take your advice of stretching etc

24/01/2013 at 14:25

Sounds more like a stress fracture to me.

24/01/2013 at 14:30

Just had a googel RicF and that does seem possible.

Would you say its worth a trip to minor injuries or just rest it and see what happens?

24/01/2013 at 14:43
If I was you I wouldn't do the race at the weekend. Get the injury sorted and then go from there.
24/01/2013 at 15:10

Thanks everyone. Popped down minor injuries and the nurse had a feel, said I have pulled the muscle. Rest, Ibuprofen and no race on Saturday.

24/01/2013 at 18:27

DL2

There are certain repair mechanisms involved with any injury. Just resting the problem won't solve it. Ask a physio.

25/01/2013 at 14:53

Anything can seem possible when you google it!  Active rest is best - cycling and swimming will work the muscles in your calf/shin without the impact which is irritating them.   LOTS of stretching.   Give it  a few days then try a slow run at 20% of distance you would normally run.   Don't run if painful.   The next day if you havent had a bad reaction, gradually increase the distances.

Don't take anti-inflammatories for longer than 72 hours, any longer and you may be  impeding the healing process.

If you still have a problem after a week or two book in with a good sports physio...

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 15:04

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.