Diet- avoiding pasta and bread?

21 to 23 of 23 messages
20/03/2013 at 18:21

I love lentils - especially the brown ones that don't go mushy.  Most types of pulses really, although I don't much like flageolot beans - not only because I can't spell it!

Carbohydrates can either be simple or complex.  Simple sugars (glucose, fructose, galactose) don't need to be broken down in the body - they can be used directly for energy.  Complex carbs are made up of more than one molecule of sugar (starch, which pasta has lots of, is made up of lots of glucose molecules stuck together).  Your body has to break them down in order to use the simple sugars for energy.  That's what the enzymes in your saliva and stomach do.  You know how if you chew on pasta for ages it starts to taste sweet?  That's because it's turning into sugar.

Pasta is mostly complex carbohydrate and so it takes a while for your body to break it down into usable sugar.  Some carbs take longer to release their energy than others - they're the low GI ones.  You get a more sustained supply of energy and that's good for controlling your weight because your blood sugar is more stable, and so you don't crash and crave everything in sight.  Wholewheat takes longer to break down and so the release is slower again.

The type of carbs in vegetabes varies from veg to veg, really.  Potatoes, peas, and winter squash are much more starchy than leafy vegetables, which are mostly water and sugar.  Sweetcorn has a high calorie content but humans can't break down the cellulose of the kernel, so it doesn't get digested. 

Fruit has much more sugar than starch - basically, if it's sweet it's sugary and if it isn't it's starchy

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 18:22
20/03/2013 at 20:46
Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Caz - you can get Barley cous cous which I'm ok with.

Barley has gluten in it, but I guess it is an alternative if your problem is wheat rather than gluten.

21/03/2013 at 10:52

What I do when not training/injured is replace the pasta with beans; I am thinking less calories and takes a while to digest. This means either baked beans on their own or getting a tinned 'three bean salad' (or 5 bean salad) and mixing it with soup, Bolognese type tomato sauce or pesto. Dump some cheese, guacamole, soured cream etc on top and you have an interesting meal that is also very cheap

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.