D@mned overcorrecting orthotics!...

The complexities of biomech 'adjusments'

3 messages
03/09/2002 at 13:01
As I'm sure most of you know, I've been suffering from knee-pain, on & off for 5 months now. I recently received my custom orthotics from my podiatrist, thinking these would be the pancea. He also told me to wear them in a less cushioned, more supportive shoe, cue Asics DS Trainer & 1070, as I overpronate, although he didnt say how severely.
I will admit, since I've worn them in, my knee pain is nowhere near what it was, & I find myself less worried about it, but now I think i've developed ITB! My left outer hip, just below the pelvis aches like hell when I run. Could the orthitics and shoe combo be overcorrecting my stability problem and brought this on? I've got an appointment to have them (the orthotics) 'fitted' in 3 weeks, but they does say forewarned is forearmed, etc. Any thoughts anyone, Dr. V-Rap?
Cheers all,
KK
03/09/2002 at 17:54
KK, doesn't sound like ITB syndrome as that would cause pain localised to the outside of your knee. It seems a bit too high up for this.

It's not a stress fracture either, because you wouldn't be able to run at all, based on where the pain is.

Could be a tear.

Is there a tender spot where the pain is and are there any leg movements that cause similar pain when you're not running?
03/09/2002 at 18:02
No real tender spots, swinging the leg aggravates it, but ice helps. Going to see a sports massage/therapist guy tommorow, see if I can get it sorted ASAP. I have a bad habit of letting injuries linger...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.