Do football and running mix?

8 messages
fez
05/10/2007 at 08:02

Just had my first game of 5-a-side for many a year and made sure I didn't go flat out - all that twisting and turning is something I'm not so used to. I was suprised at how tired I was - obviously it's a different type of fitness - and the ball controls me rather than the other way around!

Seemed to pull a calf muscle at the end (I have had trouble with this running in the past) and this morning had a few aches and pains. Even though it doesn't contribute to my running performance I enjoy it, but I guess it's going to be a balance to ensure no real deterimental effect on my running. Anyone else had similar experiences ?

05/10/2007 at 08:54
Didn't mix for me, I always ended up with sore shins after the footie which meant I couldn't run for at least 3 days.  Oh and I broke my leg playing football so that meant a while out from running too
05/10/2007 at 11:31
A guy where I live is a football coach and he is always running - but mainly up and down hills.  He seems fine.  I tried running then tennis combined but it killed my knees.  Perhaps you could try running and kicking a ball at the same time.  The traffic would soon get used to you and then when you were really good you could run around the traffic with your football?  There might be a few insurance claims but it would take your mind off your calf strain.
05/10/2007 at 12:11

I play footy once a week, and it seems to fit in OK
day after is usually a rest day though, or maybe short easy jog only
tbh I think it's quite good cross-training, if you don't take it too seriously/go mad at it - gives your knees/ankles a good twisty/turny workout, good for "fast feet" and short sprints etc etc...

MC7
05/10/2007 at 12:21
If you play like I do(run about more than the opposition to make up for a lack of skill), it's a good anaerobic workout. The running backwards is what makes me sore  -Similar to playing squash against somebody good.
05/10/2007 at 12:34

Hey M C 23 that's what I do!

My most usual football related strain in the top of my thighs/groin. think that's because of the kicking. I've just started 5 a side again once a week so I hope that I won't bugger up any more running muscles.

05/10/2007 at 14:08

Football uses many more muscles and more complex twisting and changing direction movements thus using different ligaments and cartilage as well. Its a good form of training and will help your running in the end, but it may stop your running in the first instance as you are not used to it.

Hope this helps, just be careful when doing anything new!!!!

05/10/2007 at 16:21
Ostrich - I regularly used to get groin strains through footy, but I cured that by making sure I always do a bit of stretching before/after (especially afterwards)
I assume a sensible girl like you is doing some stretching...?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.