Doctorly advice needed!

When is it okay to resume running?

6 messages
12/02/2007 at 12:45
Okay - had a baby six weeks ago, (she's lovely!) and suffered a 3rd degree tear as a result. I've not done anything exercise wise but walking about 3 miles so far.

The tear has healed well, and I've had very little pain from it. The GP checked me over this morning and said it was healing well - but in the effort to get my knickers back on and get out the door, I forgot to ask whether it would be safe to start running again (I have a need to get rid of the 'jelly-belly')

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
12/02/2007 at 12:50
Loz
I am no expert

but if you can walk 3 miles, then i am sure you could start run walking now, as long as you listen to your body

are you breast feeding
12/02/2007 at 20:14
Congrats! Enjoy!

Can you sit ok? I recall finding this a stiffer test than being able to walk. What happens if you jump up and down? That I also remember as difficult. If it feels bruised still, or if you leak, you might want to wait a while longer.

If you are feeding, a really good bra, and perhaps the strategy of running after a feed will probably help.

Good luck!
13/02/2007 at 15:20
Unfortunately I wasn't able to breastfeed, as I didn't get any milk, so this isn't really an issue. (weirdly, my friend had a baby four weeks later, also had a 3rd degree tear, and she also hasn't got any milk - not sure if it's coincidence or not!)

Thanks for the advice - I may just try run walking this weekend, when hubby is around, as the doctor ferreting around has made it a bit sore! I can sit fine and walking around doesn't give me any problems, so I'll start very carefully and see how I go.
13/02/2007 at 16:09
ferreting

FERRETING?????????

oh, i feel all queasy now Loz;)_

Get back out there luv-you know you want to
13/02/2007 at 16:23
Watch your iron levels, with all that tearing you probably lost a wee drop and may need to top up the iron before you get too serious

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.