Dodgy Hamstring

cyclist trying to run

4 messages
14/02/2012 at 10:37
Hello! I'm getting hamstring pain in my left leg when I run. I don't get this on the bike. I have found a tight compression sleeve around the left thigh helps alot and stretching to a lesser degree...but the problem is not going away unless I cease running. Only running once or twice a week and obviously tempo/interval work makes it flare up more than easy runs. Feels like there is a weakness there. I'm right-handed and very much right hand side dominant in my body.

I had thought maybe I need to strengthen the hamstring (but still stretch it so it doesn't shorten it over time)...but am clutching at straws.

Any ideas? Many thanks for your time/consideration.....cheers,

Paul.
14/02/2012 at 10:59
I will also add that about 3 years ago I was not cycling competitively so was only riding maybe 2-4hrs a week max, but I was also running maybe 2-3 times a week without issue. In 2010 and 2011 I ditched running completely and did 8-10hrs a week cycling and raced. Maybe Sep/Oct 2011 I started running again quite gradually but the problem then started.

Is it something to do with weak glutes and the hamstring trying to compensate? Or even a nerve like conditions? To me, it feels like the hamstring is weak.
Edited: 14/02/2012 at 11:01
14/02/2012 at 12:10
You need to get it checked by a medical professional. However, cyclists are notorious for tight hamstrings so I don't see any harm in continuing the hamstring stretching whilst waiting for a diagnosis, as hamstring stretches are beneficial to all runners.
14/02/2012 at 12:13
Can anyone in the Bristol area recommend someone? I think this is a biomechanical issue rather than something initiated from a specific injury.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.