Does running cause breast implant ruptures

Anyone else experienced this?

3 messages
31/07/2014 at 12:32

I'm now at home recovering from surgery to remove a ruptured implant. They couldn't do a replacement as the rupture was extensive and had caused infection, inflammation and internal bleeding.

What I can't get an answer to is whether being a runner actually caused the implant to rupture, or indeed why this happened at all.

I have tried googling to research instances but no information. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this? I am frustrated with the 'you were just unlucky' explanation - considering it has now happened twice - once on each side! How unlucky can you get?!

I should add that these weren't 'cosmetic' jobs, but post-cancer reconstruction, so no rude 'serves you right' comments please?! Even if they were cosmetic, no-one asks for this.

Following on from previous thread:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/running-with-a-rupture---and-not-where-you-think/276989.html

31/07/2014 at 15:18

Sorry you have had problems.  I have had the same treatment, for the same reason, and so far so good (3 years on). I wear a VERY supportive sports bra for running so that nothing moves, ever, and I always wear a bra or crop top of some sort, day and night.  Other than that (and I'm sure you do the same) I'm not sure what else you can do, and I suspect maybe you are just very unlucky.  My surgeon was absolutely fine about me running again with the (very obvious) caveat that I was well supported at all times

cougie    pirate
01/08/2014 at 14:07
Jeepers. That sounds unlucky. I've never heard of it before - but I'd go along with Stilts advice and strap everything down. If its not moving that much I'd think the forces will be much lighter ?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.