Does running regularly improve mental health?

21 to 24 of 24 messages
21/11/2012 at 19:53
Torchbearer, your account sounds familiar in a couple of ways. Best of luck.in the injury healing swiftly so you can be out pounding the roads, trails and in-laws! Is it a serious injury?

Liz, the event you have chosen is awesome ans really well organised. Your kids will be so so proud of their mummy! What an excellent example your showing them.
21/11/2012 at 22:15

exercise in general helps with my mental health issues, but one of the biggest things related to running that has helped has been the large support network of friends I've met since I started running.

but during my bad episodes exercise, either swimming, running, walking or cycling is a life line as (once I'm out of the really dark period) it motivates me to get out of the house and helps give me breathing space

22/11/2012 at 07:21
One thing ive come to realise is just how common mental health conditions now are. More still needs to be done to recognise the sometimes horrific effects mental illness and to address the stigma that is still attached to it. Running and physical exercise does help significantly. Have a good day you lovely people.
25/11/2012 at 22:41

Yes, as most have said, I think running can be a part of the jig saw leading to good mental health.

Other things I've found hugely helpful is just trying to lead a simpler, ethical life, dealing with my past in a constructive way, being part of a like-minded community, meditation and helping others.  I'm a long time sober recovered alcoholic, which is classed as a mental health problem.

I feel pretty well sorted these days - I have good mental health - I'm happy and have a good general sense of well being.  As I say, running is part of the jig saw, but I do not think it's the total solution.  I've had to do the other stuff that I've listed too.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.