Dr Atkins Diet

Can a Runner do a low carb diet

1 to 20 of 79 messages
26/06/2003 at 16:18
I have been interested in the DR atkins diet as I eat many sandwiches potatoes with all meals etc. etc.

Can a runner who does 35 miles a week be on a low carb diet?
WildWill    pirate
26/06/2003 at 16:30
NO

And its dangerouse

FAD DIETS dont work
26/06/2003 at 16:34
Here Here
26/06/2003 at 16:37
How the hell could any runner, serious or not, think that restricting carbs is a good idea. Hell you'd want to increase them!!
26/06/2003 at 16:45
I agree,
But Ive been running for seven years and i am allways 16 stone. Therefore I eat to much. Believe me I would love to stock up on carbs but if I could loose 36 pounds. Look how my speed could increase.

Some runners buy energy bars, I bet if i took an average runner and strapped 32 pounds to his back he would soon be wishing to get rid off it.
26/06/2003 at 16:47
do you want to lose some weight colin ? have a good look at your diet and see how many empty calories you are taking in - the butter on the baked potatoes, mayonnaise and dressings on sandwiches, sugary and fatty treats - if you cut down on some of these things it might make a difference without needing to cut down drastically on carbs which are your main fuel source

and weight loss of more than 1-2 pounds a week isnt really healthy or sustainable in the long term

most people who have success with Atkins (as would anyone who follows a highly restrictive diet) find thay put the weight back on when they return to previous diet (which also indicates they havent learned much about healthy eating whilst on Atkins!) and people who stay with it longterm are at risk of kidney problems, deficiencies, and bowel problems from a lack of fibre and bulk
26/06/2003 at 16:49
Colin, you've answered your own question. You said yourself you eat too much, cut back on the amount you eat, and eat a healthy, balanced, BALANCED, diet.
WildWill    pirate
26/06/2003 at 16:52
Im a big lad too (gone from 18st to less than 15) - but fad diets art the way

65/20/15 carb/pro/fat = a balanced diet

This would allow you to decreece calories but up available energy

Eat 4 to 5 meels a day front loaded (big breakie) and ytou will not feel hungry during the day

If you want make a 4 day food diary (FRI-MON) of what you eat anbd when - email it to me (along with details on your training) and i'll give you som sugetsions

WW
WildWill    pirate
26/06/2003 at 16:52
buttrt ot marg onb a sarny adds 180cals to the sarny
26/06/2003 at 16:53
colin
what is your body mass index or bodyfat ratio - are you heavily built - big frame and well muscled or actually carrying flab ?
maybe you need to keep a diet diary of everything you eat over a couple of weeks and tot up how much energy you are taking in against how much you need - losing around 500 calories a day from your intake should start to amount to a pound a week loss - its not much especially if you drink alchohol regularly too - you might find that you are taking in a bit more than you need to burn off some spare if you want to reduce
26/06/2003 at 16:55
Hi Colin.

This is my Humble opinion.

IF you are not killing yourself daily, i.e. running to such an extent that your body cannot cope, AND you are on the Diet....I agree with the major consensus that it is a bad idea.

HOWEVER, if you use the Atkins diet (Fad or not, it works, and not everyone is as lucky as me when then need to lose weight), and you continue running your four miles a day, I cannot envisage, how or why it would affect you, IF your only plan is to try slim down, so that in the long term you fitness improves.

I'm probably only making sense to myself.

Cheers.
26/06/2003 at 16:59
Diets lasting a few weeks/months don't, and indeed can't work, in the long term. What is needed is a long term series of changes to your lifestyle. Of course this is alot harder to do and people don't want do it.

Change your lifestyle, eat well, lose weight, run better.
26/06/2003 at 17:01
One of the side effects of Atkins is leg cramps so a definate no no if you are a runner.
I tried Atkins for a week. lost 4 pounds. Put it all back on again. When I went running it felt like I was running on empty (because I effectivley was)
If you want to do a healthy protein diet, do the Slimming World Red plan. you are allowed cereal, potatoes and bread in limited qualities (but not restrictive quantities) and unlimited fish and lean meat (not fat meat like Atkins)
WildWill    pirate
26/06/2003 at 17:02
How a bout the barmaid at my local who almost lost here eyesite through it

Or the bloke down the gyme who experience bad kidney problems

26/06/2003 at 17:03
Jesus christ, is everyone here a fad of stupid fad diets?!?!?!?!?!? Exercise and a healthy balanced diet will guarantee a healthy weight. Considering we're all _supposed_ to be runners thats half the battle won.
WildWill    pirate
26/06/2003 at 17:04
Dehydration a bad problem on Atkins

and very low glysogen reservs
WildWill    pirate
26/06/2003 at 17:05
By the way I am studying sports nutriton
26/06/2003 at 17:08
thats what i said in the first place !

get a good sports nutrition or diet book and find out healthy eating and then adapt it to your activity levels
26/06/2003 at 17:09
hows the course WW ?
26/06/2003 at 17:09
Nnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaa...
1 to 20 of 79 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.