Eating disorder history & running

Is it ok to run?

1 to 20 of 29 messages
29/05/2005 at 08:54
Hey everyone,

In my late teens and early twenties I had a few problems with eating in general. I'm now in good health. I know a chief reason I run is to keep my weight down, as I guess I feel heavy after years of being skinny. However, I eat a lot (far more now that I am doing exercise - so I must be getting lots of vitamins and minerals!) and all the women's stuff appears to be working fine...

So is this unhealthy? My family are against me doing any form of exercise regularly.

It would be good to hear your thoughts!

29/05/2005 at 08:59
sophia
the only danger is that you will get obsessed with running
well-most of us are--but i mean unhealthily obsessed-and that in turn might lead to obsessive eating habits again

but regular exercise is a GOOD thing
quite a few on here either have or had eating disorders
29/05/2005 at 09:15
OK thanks hippo.

Though I am worried that you say quite a few "have...eating disorders". I am running now because I am in recovery. To everyone who is underweight, especially amenorrhaeic females: DO NOT CONTINUE RUNNING. Your bones will be shrinking by the second...Just because you don't see it doesn't mean iots not happening.

Does anyone else on have feelings on this? I need back-up against my anti-exercise family who think I am mad!
29/05/2005 at 09:17
Sophia
it sounds as though you are already aware ofthe potential problems
thats half the battle

Many people with Eds wont admit the fact
29/05/2005 at 10:17
I think Benz is spot on - as long as you don't get obsessive then it's a good thing.

Maybe this is what your family are worried about too?
29/05/2005 at 10:51
Maybe you could select a running schedule (plenty on RW or in magazines/books) and show it to your family....and commit to stick to it....no more than the scheduled activity and at the recommended paces (easy/steady/tempo etc.)

That might provide them with some reassurance that you are approaching running as healthy exercise, not an alternative way to "get rid of calories" (err, not sure I've expressed that well...hopefully you understand what I mean)
29/05/2005 at 12:44
Yeah thanks Heckenhocker - that's a really good idea!

Bit of a joke me doing too much running at the moment - 40mins into my nice long Sunday run and my right foot gets a twinge and had to walk back! Oh well...Sure there's no harm in a nice walk in the country every now and then! Hope it clears up with a bit of rest!

05/06/2005 at 21:43
Hi,

I know no one has been on this thread for a couple of weeks, but read it a while back and didn;t get chance to post and really wanted to tell you my experience.

Sophia, I have suffered with an eating disorder (on and off) for 13 years and I have to say that since I took up running I have never felt so good!

I have been in recovery for a good year now, and I really can put my hand on my heart and say running has played a big part in that.

I feel more positive about my shape, and I am fit, toned and healthy rather than lethargic and skinny! I take more notice of what my body needs in terms of nutrients, and I don't punish myself with food the way I used to.

I no longer think that carbs are evil, or that if I eat any chocolate I will put on a stone...I know I am looking after my body in all ways and therefore I am relaxed around food and eat what I want (and best of all enjoy it, and am scoial with it, in a way I never thought I could be).

I would say though, please don't run as a way of keeping an already under weight body too thin (assuming that is where you are right now). You have to eat and get your energy up to be a good runner. Get yourself right, and be patient...it will be ok, and believe me you feel so much better!

I used to think that I wasn't good enough unless someone was saying I was too thin, or commenting on how tired I looked...It meant I was succeeding. Now I look back and I mourn the loss of all those days that I lost because I was too tired, too depressed and too unconfident to enjoy life. Running has changed me. I am a healthy weight and I am toned with muscle definition...It feels great!

20/06/2005 at 19:06
Dear Bunglebird

Your post was totally inspiring - thanks
Viv
21/06/2005 at 14:26
Bunglebird,

Very moving thread, you've put into words how am sure many people feel,
thanks.
28/06/2005 at 03:33
I am a former ED sufferer. Running can be addictive, but the positives are it makes me hungry, and I can eat without feeling (too) guilty because I know I need fuel to run properly, so my diet has improved as a result. Unfortunately ammonorrhea is still aproblem for me.
28/06/2005 at 09:10
I have just been diagnosed with amenorrhea and anemia.. My doctor has put me on the pill and given me 400mg of iron (got another name but can't spell it)

She hasn't told me to stop running (at present I run anything from 30-40 miles a week, plus gym) My main reason for my exercise is because I enjoy it and get bored really easily. Yet I have had a few issues in the past with food, yet since I have started to run I've felt loads better in myself and thought I was being healthy, yet discovered last week that I'm not.

I wouldn't say I was underweight though, I'm about 5'7 and weight just under 9 stone.

I am very concerned at the moment especially regarding the amenorrhea, is the pill the best way to go with this or should I cut back on my training. I have just been diagnosed with amenorrhea and anemia.. My doctor has put me on the pill and given me 400mg of iron (got another name but can't spell it)

She hasn't told me to stop running (at present I run anything from 30-40 miles a week, plus gym) My main reason for my exercise is because I enjoy it and get bored really easily. Yet I have had a few issues in the past with food, yet since I have started to run I've felt loads better in myself and thought I was being healthy, yet discovered last week that I'm not.

I wouldn't say I was underweight though, I'm about 5'7 and weight just under 9 stone.

I am very concerned at the moment especially regarding the amenorrhea, is the pill the best way to go with this or should I cut back on my training.
28/06/2005 at 09:11
opps didn't think I'd written that much, it's printed it twice?
28/06/2005 at 09:12
Typed it agin:

I have just been diagnosed with amenorrhea and anemia.. My doctor has put me on the pill and given me 400mg of iron (got another name but can't spell it)

I am very concerned at the moment especially regarding the amenorrhea, is the pill the best way to go with this or should I cut back on my training
28/06/2005 at 09:17
Hi roxy, how is your back and buttock area? I thought you were resting this week anyway due to this.
28/06/2005 at 09:27
Dear Roxy Bird

If you can tolerate the pill, this is probably the best option (I assume you are relatively young and not yet menopausal). The pill will help you to preserve the bone density you have and improve your readings at the next scan.

Viv
28/06/2005 at 09:39
Hiya Jane, I was going to rest yesterday yet I ended up in the gym, did a load of cross training and just did what I could with my leg , had a good stretch and today I woke up and the pain has gone??? Very happy, yet still going to take it easy today, don't want to push it. Might do a gentle few miles run today.

Viv - yeah I don't mind being on the pill, I have been on it for the last 10 years and came off of it as I wanted to have a break. I am getting tested again in about 3 weeks so will se if I have improved.
28/06/2005 at 13:13
roxy do you exercise every day?
28/06/2005 at 13:49
ummm pretty much, I have at least one rest day a week though as I need it. I sometimes (well most days) train twice, I'll run and then gym, swim or cycle or sometimes run twice.

Although I have cut back since I found out the results from the doctor last week, scared me a bit and also of course my leg hurts too much.

Yet I've found doing cross training in the gym has helped my leg loosen up alot. I'm not running on it though, want to try and be ok for my race next wednesday.
28/06/2005 at 14:01
Hmmmm how would you feel about taking 2 days rest?
1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.