exhaustion after marathon

54 miles and now knackered

4 messages
27/06/2013 at 21:00

Hi all,

I ran an ultra marathon two weeks ago, 54 miles over the hills in Scotland. After I felt tired and sore but started feeling back to normal two/three days later. I took a week off from doing any sport, but decided to go a tiny 3 mile run this week on tuesday.

After this three mile run I started feeling unwell and my legs felt as if I'd just run another 54 miles. I also got cold sweats and a bad stomach (sorry for that info).

Has anyone else felt horrendous and unwell on their first couple of runs after a marathon? Maybe I'm just being soft. How long should you do nothing after a marathon??

27/06/2013 at 21:27

You probably just have a bit of a bug and it's nothing to do with your ultra.

27/06/2013 at 21:41

Yes, it is a perfect time for bugs to hop on board while you have a suppressed immune system. Take it easy and don't push things too quick

05/07/2013 at 12:44

I read somewhere (sorry, I can't remember the source) that it can take up to four weeks to recover fully from a Marathon; you just did "two Marathons" - so your body is going to be really knackered. As a poster above said, your immune system is compromised during that period post Marathon. I am aware that you can do recovery runs a few days after races. The three mile run that you did - if it was fast then it may have been too fast for your recovering body as I understand recovery runs should be nice, gentle jogs.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.