Fartlek -> Pain in top of foot

Well that was stupid

8 messages
14/08/2014 at 09:33

Hi Folks,

I ran a 5k fartlek session the day before yesterday, overdid it a bit and have had intermittent mild pain in the top of my left foot since. I'm planning to give it a rest for a few days, but would appreciate a second opinion on whether I need to go see the quack.

I did a fartlek session on Tuesday (1k warmup, 3 cycles of fast 600m / slow 400m, 1k warmdown) and did the fast bits pretty much as fast as I could keep up for the distance. I did the slow bits at about 10mm pace. There was no pain at all during or immediately after the session. Yesterday I started getting intermittent pain in the top of my left foot near the top end of the 2nd metatarsal which gets more frequent / painful when I walk or go on tiptoes. Pressing on the metatarsal doesn't hurt and there's no redness or swelling.

I had cut down my running over the summer as I've had other things on, but am building back up towards a half marathon in November keeping to the 10% rule more or less. The plan for this week was 3 x 5 mile easy runs and the 5k fartlek run.

Thanks in advance.

Gaz

14/08/2014 at 14:07

Just give it a couple of day rest and reassess.

Fartlek is free, unstructured 'play',and  it seems like you did 3 x 600m off 400m recoveries!

14/08/2014 at 16:17
Rest ice n chill.
14/08/2014 at 19:10

Thanks guys, will do.

Also-ran, it wasn't quite as structured as all that! It just seemed to be the best way to explain roughly what I did.

Gaz

17/08/2014 at 12:24

Gave it four days more or less complete rest (barring the walk to the train station for commuting to work) and tried to keep it elevated, iced occasionally etc... Went for a very gentle 5 mile run at 9:00mm pace this morning and had no issues. Will continue to go easy on it for another week before trying anything faster-paced.

Thanks for the help booktrunk and Also-ran.

17/08/2014 at 19:00

19/08/2014 at 01:13

Try not tying your laces so tightly. Could be a tendon issue.

19/08/2014 at 12:19

Thanks for chipping in T-Rex.  I thought of that (there's a similar thread below) but it doesn't feel like a tendon pain, and my shoes don't feel too tight across the top of my feet.

Another 5 miler today in a similar sort of time. Everything still feels OK.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.