Fat Club - Fri 27th

1 to 20 of 39 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/09/2002 at 08:18
Morning folks ... well what can I say? I'm usless. I get my slimming world stuff last week, hardly follow it this week, allow stress and college to get to me and end up putting on weight. Tomorrow I have my first "support call", it's going to sound great "yes I've done well, I've put on!".
My calf has been stiff so I've done next to no exercise as I have a 10K on sunday and I have no excuses.
So all I can do is switch off the phone and pretend I'm not in tomorrow and start again next week! opps! I'm not very good at this dieting lark .. no wonder I've had 2-2.5 st to lose for the last 4 yrs!
Anyways rant over ... have a good day yourselves!
27/09/2002 at 08:29
Wow EP: I've only just caught up with yesterday's thread and here you are already. Try thinking healthy eating rather than diet. The former continues for ever, the latter always ends (in tears, in my experience!)

V-rap and EP: I'll check out local races (Reading would be fine), but are we compatible? I haven't done my first 5K yet (although I'm just about ready for it, I think). And where do you live, V-rap?

Gordon: what does your therapist charge - I might be cheaper?!?!? My church is in a village just outside Leatherhead.

And Glenn, stopping dissing (it's a daughter word, don't know what it means really!) therapists!

Going back to 1976, I was 18, weighed about a stone more than I do now, suffered from depression and anxiety attacks and was in regular therapy. Mmm.... worth looking back on - makes me realise how happy I am now. Thanks guys!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/09/2002 at 08:38
Hi Sassie! My son got me out of bed at 7! Need to go to school now ... I'm doing my first 10K on sunday but to be honest I should be doing a 5K as I'm not very good! Been running for 10 wks now and I can run for about 20 mins before I need a break ... but I am very slow! I mean like a 12 min mile is fast for me!!
Well I have to go take my own Kevin to school now .. speak later! :-)
27/09/2002 at 08:54
Morning everybody.

Sassie, we are the same age. I would like to emphasise that I have the greatest respect for anyone who manages to charge a client a large hourly rate for a service they hadn't previously realised they needed. If this wasn't true I'd be out of a job.

EP: SHOUT don't keep dissing (thanks Sassie) your running. Your progress is brilliant, your goals are ambitious but you KNOW you will achieve them. And I know you're going to ignore this but forget about your weight. As Sassie says, just concentrate on eating healthily.
27/09/2002 at 09:20
Take that call from Slimming World, EP! You won't get a b*ll*cking and you won't get a patronising dose of love-bombing. And you can do that 10K! Some of us were stupid enough to start with a marathon. I've not done a 5K yet - hardly seems worthwhile, as I usually need over a mile just to warm up.

Sassie, I'm in Birmingham but am quite portable. If it's a short race, running at the same speed probably doesn't matter as much as meeting at the start and heading for a hostelry at the end. Give it a month or two and you'll be walloping me into the ground anyway - I can scrape under 9-minute miles but don't expect to get much faster because I'm not a fast-twitch kind of creature.

Think healthy eating, think NORMAL eating, think of those chocolates and crisps as just something you ate, not as a diet ruined. We all do it - have you ever met a person who was good at "dieting" and wasn't either eating-disordered or a complete pain in the butt?

WildWill    pirate
27/09/2002 at 09:42
Morning all

Weighed myself last night and all this pigging out I’ve been doing over the last 2 –weeks and I’m exactly the same weight – Marvellous :o)

Also I’m looking at enrolling in a Sports Nutrition / Sports Nutrition Counselling Diploma – Correspondence course at the end of the year – so maybe I can get it sorted after that :o)

Will
27/09/2002 at 11:19
Sassie, I may take you up on that offer. I don't imagine you could possibly be more expensive than my therapist. I live in Surbiton so Leatherhead isn't far. You will know exactly what I am going through (without the depression).

I missed Military Fitness last night so I went along to a running club for the first time with a friend (Wimbledon Windmilers). It was brilliant. I definitely will be returning. We ran 8.5miles and chatted the whole way so I hardly even noticed. We finished in an 1 hour 10 mins. Unfortunately, I had gone prepared for military fitness and not running so I had completely the wrong gear on. I had my old battered running shoes that I use for doing circuit training in the mud, silly little socks, baggy cotton t-shirt and a pair of football shorts. You can imagine how much I ache today... very sore legs, blisters, lots of rubbing between the legs and a brilliant dose of joggers nipple. But, I'm still very chuffed about last nights run.
27/09/2002 at 11:56
Well done, Gordon!

Must admit, I incline towards Glenn's view that Military Fitness is possibly more therapeutic than therapy is for someone who is where you seem to be in life, but the difficulty is often getting to the point where you are confident enough to see yourself as the type of person who can take up activities that will boost your self-esteem, and psychological therapies can be of immense value there.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/09/2002 at 12:09
Thanks for the support guys!
Glenn - quivering - promise to stop dissing the running!
V-rap Ok i'll take the call and Sassie I'll try and stop saying the D word!
I had cereal for brekkie and it is now 12 .. no further eating!!Yippee!
Took sont ot school and the went into town where I bought a new long sleeved RonHill top (M&S had no View From stuff) and a reflective gillet. So now I can even run when it gets colder and darker!!
Now I'm hungry and need foooooood ... I have some cooked pasta in the fridge and some cook in 2 mins sauce in the cupboard followed by peach and yoghurt! Feeling good today (I want meantion the chinese for tea tonight and the required bottle of wine!! sorry Glenn!)
WW does this mean that you can start telling us what food to eat to optimise our running!!
WildWill    pirate
27/09/2002 at 12:13
EP

I'm hoping to find what to eat myself to optimise my running - but if i do i'll be sure to pass it on ;o)
27/09/2002 at 12:47
I must admit that therapy really has been useful. If you met me I think you would be very surprised that I was undergoing therapy for low self-esteem. I'm a very very outgoing person, confident about my abilities in a lot of things, and always taking up new activities. Never had a problem with joining in groups and would never have thought I had low self-esteem. Until a year ago. I started doing a lot of presentations and suddenly started getting panic attacks when I was doing them. Only through therapy have I realised that I have self-esteem issues. I put myself down a lot because I need to hear people saying "no, no, you are a good looking guy", or "no, you played really really well today" or "you are the best soldier we have in the unit". Getting to the point now that I don't need people to tell me these things. I still like to hear it, probably still need to hear it now and then, but I don't put myself down nearly as often. Still not tried any presentations since starting therapy so don't know if my attacks have been cured but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Sassie, do you think you can help?

Now, shall we rename this thread to psychological misfits?
27/09/2002 at 15:19
Hi Gordon: if you are seriously thinking about changing therapists, send me an email. But I'm not into poaching clients, so you need to have a real reason for wanting to leave your present one!

Had rather too much cheese for lunch; never mind, 3.5 miles on Sunday. Wish me luck guys.
27/09/2002 at 16:02
Good luck on Sunday Sassie. There is no such thing as "too much cheese" and I'm sure it will provide you with the extra oomph you need for the run.
27/09/2002 at 16:10
Good luck on Sunday, Sassie, or maybe I should say that I hope you have been predestined to have a good run on Sunday. Or is that a bit too Low for you?

Carbing up on cheese, Glenn? Hmmm. Tried it once. Little bit of bread, handful of olives and tomatoes, huge chunk of Stilton...the run I had a couple of hours later was not my best ever! I do like cheese, though, apart from processed cheese and the rubbery Swiss stuff with holes in it.

Better start work again. Need to build up some goodwill among my people because in a week or two I'm going to be asking them to wring out their wallets for Kevin's Ben Nevis climb.
27/09/2002 at 16:17
Cheese is my real weakness, same as chocolate for you girls. Wouldn't try to eat it before a run, but afterwards with the wine I really can't resist.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/09/2002 at 16:21
Ok guys I've had a plan!
Between now and Sunday - just chill and live
Sunday - 10K (aim for 1.15)
Monday AM - weigh myself and pay proper attention to food as next week will be recovering from Sunday! So a bit of cycling for CV only.
Wednesday - college, take packed lunch and LITTLE money i.e. enough for some cups of tea only!
Then next week I'm starting some hill work as up until now I've avoided theM!
How's that sound for plan then?
27/09/2002 at 16:27
EP
Sounds great. Do whatever running you feel next week as long as you feel up to it, certainly rest Monday. Make it a big packed lunch. Don't try to formalise your hill work yet, but get a gentle rise or two into your usual route.

Most importantly, make sure you enjoy every step and run with a smile on your face on Sunday. Best of luck with it.
27/09/2002 at 16:45
Sassie, I will be in touch.

Cheese is my real weakness too... I love absolutely any cheese... even if it's not cheese but has a label saying cheese... I love it... cheese with anything (especially baked beans)...

That's tonight's dinner decided.
27/09/2002 at 16:49
Gordon, you mean even spray cheese? String cheese? And what exactly have you decided on for dinner - cheese with cheese and cheese sauce?
27/09/2002 at 16:51
You've put me in a cheesy mood now. Naughty boys! I hope Mr V-rap hasn't troughed the last of the Yarg for his lunch - I want it and it's such a pain in the neck having to dress up and go to Waitrose or Rackhams to get more. Must have a word with the cheese-orderer at Sainsbury's.

It will go beautifully with the wheaten scones Kevin and I are going to make tonight.
1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.